Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Organizing the Tub  (Read 1259 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Organizing the Tub
« on: December 18, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
I just got my first pull over shanty. Not an early adopter am I. Anyway I was wondering what youze guyze who have been using them for years have come up with for keeping your gear organized. I figure I will be packing stuff in my truck based on the mission rather than keeping everything on hand. Any thoughts?
FM

PS: A Clam Kenai Thermal Pro
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Organizing the Tub
« on: December 18, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
Re: Organizing the Tub
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
Filet could help you with that Kenai setup.. I believe he has that unit. I know there are things we need in a shack... we can load them up pretty fast with stuff. They can get heavy to drag pretty quick. After hauling my 2 Man  Frabil yesterday full of gear, I will be buying a one man flip over for the days I am not using a machine. You'll thank yourself for buying a shack Dave!!! Have fun with it!!😎
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 01:50:37 PM »
I've always been a fan of duffel bags,  and / or  small backpacks rather than buckets for my gear.  That way I can jam everything in to the sled and keep my minnow bucket from sliding around inside the sled.

In anything other than hard crust or very light snow they will bog down quickly.  You will no doubt want to get some form of smitty  built so it pulls easier in the deeper snow and slush. 

You can pimp it out with rod holders, I like the simple types that can be stuck on quickly and removed if you need to flip over and back a lot, the hinges can interfere with some rod holder rigs.   I like to have my 2 jig rods rigged to the sled so I can reel up, put the flasher on the seat and just pull to the next spot.

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »
The smitty make short work of pulling in the snow.
I have a double milk crate that i made an organizer of.
Pvc pipe makes .good rod holder.
Large pvc bolted to the crate will hold the lantern nice.srew the tank on and fits perfect in the pvc.
Youll wounder how you went with out a 1 man all these year.
I honestly find myself using buckets more than anything.
Good Luck.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »

Offline brownmk19

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
I've got a single person Frabill Commando flip down shelter. I like it a lot. As far as organization goes, I kind of just put everything in the bottom since it's a pretty big sled, it contains everything pretty well. The only challenge seems to be keeping a 5 gallon bucket full of live bait from tipping over on the trek out to the ice. I've thought about drilling holes in the side of the sled to accommodate the J hooks of a bungee cord to keep the bait bucket secured. This year, I also bought a couple heavy duty Rubbermaid totes for my sled. I think I'm going to use two totes in my sled, one for my tip ups and one for my jigging rods and miscellaneous tackle, etc. Milk crates would also accomplish the same thing. I'm hoping the totes will help keep my stuff a bit more organized and less prone to tangling and just generally being in the way.

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »

Fm I have that rig , it took some maneuvering , I carry a rod case , heater ,minnow bucket , heater , graph ,  tackle bag , rod holder are fixed ,  extra propane bottle , lunch and thermos , and a shovel , auger and spud  , I made a bucket organizer that works pretty slick , a 5 gal or 6 will fit between the the seat rails , as your looking at the tub the left side is 2 narrow for round pail , but cat litter buckets fit nice , I'll try and get some pics , maybe it will help out some

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »
Thanks for all these ideas. I will be taking them all into consideration and finding what fits my style.  The square minnow bucket is a beauty. I happen to have a square bucket of birdseed that is almost empty may be re-purposing it very soon. If anyone else has some thoughts post them up. This is a good topic.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »
Here are rod holders that I made for my son and a couple of his buds. I use 1.25" sink drain pipe, closet maid brackets, couple carriage bolts and spray paint. I mount them next to the metal corner brackets of the shack through the tub. When not using them, spin them around to the inside. Keeps them out of the way of the shack cover for transport.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 07:05:25 AM »

KP , Omg look at all those lures you wasted 👀

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 07:07:03 AM »
Here are rod holders that I made for my son and a couple of his buds. I use 1.25" sink drain pipe, closet maid brackets, couple carriage bolts and spray paint. I mount them next to the metal corner brackets of the shack through the tub. When not using them, spin them around to the inside. Keeps them out of the way of the shack cover for transport.

NICE!!!!!! :) :) :)
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 07:23:23 AM »
KP , Omg look at all those lures you wasted 👀
lol!! No "good" drain pipe was wasted in the making of those rod holders. PVC only!!!😎

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 07:24:25 AM »

Post a shot of them mounted in the tub when you get it out sometime.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 07:24:25 AM »

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 07:29:11 AM »

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 07:31:45 AM »
This is my personal office that has rod holders I won a few years ago. That's where I got the concept for the ones I made. Very functional!!😎

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »
Lots of good ideas.

One of the things I started doing a couple years ago is bringing one of the large Playmate coolers. Not for beers, but for spare batteries, thermoses of coffee and soup, bait, sandwiches and drinks(water, iced tea etc....)and snacks. I find it 's a great way to keep waxies and other bait from freezing, also drinks, and even keeps batteries warm. I almost always have 2 thermoses filled with coffee in there and they give off just enough heat to keep batteries and bait warm. And the insulation keeps everything a lot warmer than they would be in an open sled or sitting on the ice on those cold days! And it is convenient to carry everything too with the handle on top.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »