Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Use Your Eyes  (Read 398 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
Use Your Eyes
« on: December 16, 2016, 05:13:43 PM »
Reading the ice is something that is learned over time as experience is gained. This section is a place for the grizzly veterans to share their knowledge with new comers to the sport and possibly even teach each other something from time to time. Today I was on 5 inches of pretty nice early ice. It started as some snow on top of the water and then since it was not too thick some thicker clear "black ice" grew underneath.  After cutting some holes to see what the ice was made of I felt comfortable enough walking any where I wanted as long as The surface looked like the ice I had tested. On one of my walks I came across some clear black ice two small patches of it. Now black ice is supposed to be the bomb, the safest most desirable ice for safety. However knowing how the ice was put together I knew that this had frozen after the main ice body I was traveling on. It may have been an under water spring that had frozen over the night before or where a deer had crashed through a few days earlier. I gave it wide berth. Soon after there was another spot of clear ice off a point again I avoided it not wanting to see if it was as unsafe as I suspected. Whenever you are going from one sort of ice to another excercise caution, be thoughtful about it. Different looking sheets of ice mean that they are different thicknesses or compositions. Pay attention to where you are . And enjoy all of it.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Use Your Eyes
« on: December 16, 2016, 05:13:43 PM »

Offline NYSporty

Re: Use Your Eyes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
Good advice and true. Not all ice is made the same.
The ring of white ice is a dead giveaway that is where drifting snow stuck to water.
I have a place that is loaded with springs when I take people there I always show them what they look like. I call it the ring of death.

Offline fishon

• Fish'n Machine
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:04:26 PM »
yes, yes, great information.

Always be on the lookout for any ice that looks a little different than what you are safely walking on.

Be safe and stay on TOP!
Fish On!
Have you hugged a fish today?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:04:26 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question