Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: FOOT MATT  (Read 1088 times)

Offline chez

• PBR Man
FOOT MATT
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »
DOSE ANYONE USE OR KNOW OF A FOOT MATT THAT YOU CAN USE INSIDE YOUR HUT FOR EXTRA WARMTH ON YOUR FEET.?????
MY SON MATT HAS A TYROID PROBLEM ,,OVER ACTIVE...ON MEDS THE LAST 3 YEARS.
HE DONT MAKE MANY ICE TRIPS AS OF LATE.
WITCH SUCKS.. :(
HE GETS SUPER COLD ON THE ICE...,,AS OF LATE.HIS FEET ARE THE WORST.
I WAS THINKING IF THERE WAS A MATT TO ELEVATE THEM UP A BIT.
HE USES MICKEYS NOW AND STILL GETS COLD FEET..
ELECTRIC SOCKS DONT HELP... :-\
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

FOOT MATT
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
Re: FOOT MATT
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »
Chez- closed cell foam pads work great! (the kind you use for padding under your sleeping bag when backpacking). I used to have a piece I used for ice-fishing before I got the 1800 gr boots. I'll look around the basement and garage. If I can find it, it's yours!

Online KingPerch

• Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 08:07:07 AM »
DOSE ANYONE USE OR KNOW OF A FOOT MATT THAT YOU CAN USE INSIDE YOUR HUT FOR EXTRA WARMTH ON YOUR FEET.?????
MY SON MATT HAS A TYROID PROBLEM ,,OVER ACTIVE...ON MEDS THE LAST 3 YEARS.
HE DONT MAKE MANY ICE TRIPS AS OF LATE.
WITCH SUCKS.. :(
HE GETS SUPER COLD ON THE ICE...,,AS OF LATE.HIS FEET ARE THE WORST.
I WAS THINKING IF THERE WAS A MATT TO ELEVATE THEM UP A BIT.
HE USES MICKEYS NOW AND STILL GETS COLD FEET..
ELECTRIC SOCKS DONT HELP... :-\
Go to Home Depot and get a gardeners knee pad. 😎👍 Good wool blend socks. Years ago, I found that those Mickey boots promote sweat and dot breathe. If my feet got wet with sweat... I was done! Wool socks with a breathable pair of boots... I was good to go!! Good luck Matt!!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:12:00 AM by KingPerch »
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Online denny2112

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »
you should look into arctic shield insulated boot covers i have used them before they worked good for me

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »

Offline NYSporty

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
Go to Home Depot and get a gardeners knee pad. 😎👍 Good wool blend socks. Years ago, I found that those Mickey boots promote sweat and dot breathe. If my feet got wet with sweat... I was done! Wool socks with a breathable pair of boots... I was good to go!! Good luck Matt!!!

2X my feet sweat big time even cold they sweat? Not sure why so the only thing I can do is heat up the sweat with the chemical hand warmers.
It seems they lose heat just setting but if you walk around the air gets to them and they heat back up. I like the small hand warmers rated for 10 hours not the 4 or 6 hour ones. The toasty toe ones that stick to you sock suck. I've tried the themacell insoles version 1 and 2 and they don't work for me at all.
I put on a light merino wool sock and then a thick wool sock and place the warmer between the two under my toes.

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »
Wicking sock and a pr of smart wool socks. Take an extra set of each and a small towel. Once you walk out and set up change socks.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
I have the sweat foot too, also a thyroid issue, I never knew there was a relationship between them. I use Sorel Caribou pac boots with smart wool socks and a synthetic sock cover that provides an extra layer. What I have found is that having everything breathable allows the water vapor to travel out and away from my feet to the boot shell. Many times when the weather is bitter cold I will get back to camp and take the boots of to find a layer of frost on the outside of the felt pac all the while my feet have been warm to bearable. Another thing is I don't sit in a shack I am out in the elements if I start to get cold I walk it off. When you sit your circulation drops way down and your not burning calories making heat in your body.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »
if your feet get cold because they sweat a lot, get a can of right guard antiperspirant aerosol and spray your feet before putting your socks on. It works.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
X's 2 on all these remedies..

I have the same issue with cold toes...  I have Lacrosse snow packs, thermal liner sock and a good pair of merlino wool socks.. I've also just recently purchased a pair of Mickey's too.. Didn't try them out yet. They're for the ice.

Spider... I've heard of the antiperspirant spray to the feet, never tried it but I think I will.  My deer hunting in the treestand this year was all about cold toes and feet!  >:(

Another issue some guys don't realize.. Even with the proper socks, the bottom soles of the boots absorb all the perspiration!!!!!  And stay wet!!!
At the end of the day you need to pull out all felts and removable liners etc..  and properly get them dried out before the next trip..  If you don't get them dried out, that next trip out that moisture still in the soles will get all the colder and faster!!!!!

Boot size is a factor too!  Your boots must be larger size to accommodate those extra socks....  Oversize boots is a must..  Too tight and that restricts your blood flow to the feet...   
You need good toe/foot wiggle room!!!! ::)

Invest in a good boot dryer....worth their weight in gold for me.. 

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »
Boot Dryers:

Glad you mentioned Boot Dryers. Our friends at Expedition Outdoors have added boot dryers to their product line up. They have about 4 models including a compact road worthy pair that is very reasonable and would serve you at home or away in the spring fall and winter.
FM
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:01:33 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »
Boot Dryers:

Glad you mentioned Boot Dryers. Our friends at Expedition Outdoors have added boot dryers to their product line up. They have about 4 models including a compact road worthy pair that is very reasonable and would serve you at home or away in the spring fall and winter.
FM

That's good to know...

I already have one BUT anyone else in search for a X-mas for themselves..  They are certainly worth it!   

Some models have a timer some don't but just a couple hours on them and your boot soles are thoroughly dried out and ready to go again.....

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »
Sock liners as Cowdawg mentioned, they help a lot.  I got my 1st pair last season and they worked very well on my sweaty hoofs.

I used to bring a 2nd pair of dry socks and change on the ice, it's not easy to do  :? they wouldn't stay dry though.

I never had the sweaty foot problem before I started wearing merino wool socks, coincidence maybe but the high quality wool socks really traps in the heat & moisture.

Another thing I've done to make the feets more comfortable is to use Dr. Scholl's inserts in my boots.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 06:03:45 PM »
if your feet get cold because they sweat a lot, get a can of right guard antiperspirant aerosol and spray your feet before putting your socks on. It works.
Great idea Brother...!!!!!
Ill leave it at that.

Offline Rtrucking40

• Ice Man
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »
Chez has he tried muck style boots? I got lacrosse 800 gram and my feet have never gotten cold. I have never been a fan of hunting style boots they just never worked for me my toes always froze. Good thing about them to is there not laced super tight and your feet breathe better.

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 07:15:48 PM »
Chez has he tried muck style boots? I got lacrosse 800 gram and my feet have never gotten cold. I have never been a fan of hunting style boots they just never worked for me my toes always froze. Good thing about them to is there not laced super tight and your feet breathe better.
RTRUCKING,,GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK,BROTHER. :)
HE HAS MUCKBOOTS THEY DONT WORK.HE EVEN HAS TO LEAVE THE HEATED TREESTAND ON COLD DAYS.IT SUCKS..
I MISS HIM BEING ON THE ICE WITH ME.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 07:15:48 PM »