Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Pickerel Leaders  (Read 339 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
Pickerel Leaders
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »
Trying something different for an experiment. I loose some nice pickerel every year because I like to use mono leaders for bass and trout. Big old pickerel comes along and pop goes the leader. I'm making some short 6 inch leaders on light 8 pound test sevenstrand leader to see if I can get some more of the big picks and still catch the bass too.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Pickerel Leaders
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »

Offline diehard

• Ice Man
Re: Pickerel Leaders
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:17:39 PM »
did you ever try fluoro leaders? I use 15 pound seaguar invisx...that stuff it TOUGH.  albright knot right to the Dacron. I never had a pickerel bite through it, even when they engulf the treble hook on the tip up
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 11:34:33 PM »
I never went that high in test but have used the Seaquar 6 and 8. On trout and bass. I have some 17 lb that I use for pike I may give it a try on the smaller fishes.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »
I have a bunch of 4" x 10# steel leaders. I've never used them but plan on using them this season when I set traps specifically for pickerel. Lost a brandy new swedish pimple last year and it ticked me off >:( I don't think I'll be using them though when I'm jigging for pannies which is usually when I lose most of my jigs to hammer handles.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:53:29 AM »
I have used the fine wire leader that fly fisherman would use for pike, barracuda....etc. a lot more flexible than the conventional steel leaders. You can buy it online on most flyfishing sites. To attach it to mono or braid requires a jam knot. The leader comes in different strengths and you can cut the leader to your desired length.
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline brownmk19

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:18:56 AM »
For the past few years, I've been using 12 pound Vanish Fluoro and I haven't really experienced any problems. I still pick up perch and calico regularly with that lb test Fluoro and I've landed plenty of large pickerel and bass with no issues. The only two break offs I've had with the 12 pound leader were both at the Pack, of course. One of which I'm certain was a large Northern. As a result, I've got four tip ups with 20 pound Fluoro leaders set aside just for fishing the Pack. I kinda shy away from steel leaders. Although this philosophy may cost me a big fish, I prefer a moderate Fluoro leader because I'd rather hook the fish first and then worry about getting him on the ice as opposed to using a steel leader........ which I think may cost me flags from more line weary fish like trout and bass and calico. Just my thoughts.......

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:18:56 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question