Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Best Fillet Knife  (Read 441 times)

Offline Big-Bass

• Ice Man
Best Fillet Knife
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »
I am in the market for a fillet knife.  I have narrowed down what I need to between a 6-8 inch blade for filleting mostly panfish, perch, and possibly some larger fish like walleye if we get into them.  What brand is the best bang for the buck and what blade length is the most versatile?  I have heard good things about Dexter-Russell knifes because they are made well, made in the USA, and their handles are easy to grip/easy to clean.  I know the Rapala Finlander knives are also very popular but have heard mixed reviews depending on which model is purchased.  Any/all help is appreciated and with the weather coming next week, it looks like we could have some possible ice sooner than last year!  Thanks and best wishes on the water!

Ice Fishing 247

Best Fillet Knife
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
Re: Best Fillet Knife
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »
I luv the Rapala knifes own i bet a half dozen.
But 25 plus years ago i bought an interchangeable 3 blade filet knife set with case from Snap On Tools.3 blades a 6" a 10" and a doublesided saw blade to cut off heads and tails.
Blades change over super quick.blades are super sharp and sharpen quick and east.. comes with a sheath that holds everything then fits in a cordura belt sheath with a velcro closer.
Still use it today.25 plus years.
I would consider looking into it.
If not,A Rapala 8" would do the job for you.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline Big-Bass

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 01:14:31 PM »
Thanks Chez,

Here is one that I had my eye on in 7":

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dexter-Russell-Narrow-Fillet-Knife-with-Sheath-7&i=873490

If I looked into the Rapala models, which one:  The Finlander with the birch handle and the Finnish blade, the Superflex with the carbon Finnish blade, or the Softgrip with the standard blade?  They seem to make those mostly in 4" or 6".  Thanks for the help!

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »
I've had great luck with the Bubba Blade knives. I have the 7" & 9" models, they come sharp and hold an edge. Really easy to hold on to with a rubbery handle. I filet fish from both fresh and salt water areas, some of the salt water species have scales like sandpaper and these knives do as well (in a reasonable price range) as any I've used.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
I talked my wife into buying a fillet knife a few years ago. It was a Wustoff Gand Prix, made in Germany. It was 63 bucks at the time and that was the best online price I could find. Just saw it for 80 on Amazon; 7" and super flexible. I fillet almost exclusively pan fish so I sort of wanted a 6" but this thing is well balance, easy to hold and super sharp. Pricey, but a life time investment if you care for it. Bought a Japanese water stone last year, and now I can get that like new razor edge every time. Can't wait to use it again!

Offline Mark D

• Charter Member
  • Grandson on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »
I'm a Rapala fillet knife fan. I have four of them and they do take a fresh edge if you sharpen them. Fred, that is a beauty! I do need to sharpen the blades after filleting a big batch of perch. Scales are like armor compared to crappie bass.  Mark

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 10:24:10 PM »
I do have one good Rapala (6") as well, and it gets pretty sharp, but doesn't hold an edge as long. Also the Wusthoff has a nicer balance, at least in my hand. Of course I'm not filleting massive piles of fish like you are Mark. ;)

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »
I've got them all in my collection. Rapala, Westmark among all the other cheap fillet knives.

But not too long ago I invested in top of the line Wusthoff Classic Ikon Fillet and it's a beauty for sure!!!!
Did my online shopping with coupons and deals and got this knife for well under a hundred bucks from what it's actually sold for!!!! 

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »

Offline Icemole

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »
 My go to for over 20yrs has been the Rapala(Birch handle). I have both the 4" and 6" blade models. 90% of the time I grab the 4" no matter what size fish(hybrid stripers down to bluegills). My 4" blade stays pretty sharp - I can't seem to get a good edge on the 6" for long . I have no problem with putting an edge on the 4" using Ark. stones.

Offline Big-Bass

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »
Tractor Supply in Hamlin had a closeout special on a Schrade Uncle Henry (same company that makes Old Timer) large fillet knife called the 167UH model and it has a full tang construction, a nice leather sheath, staglon (faux antler) handle and it was $12.99.  I may also get a Rapala knife to have on hand or see if Hunter's Gallery has a Buck fillet knife.  That Wusthoff knife is beautiful and would probably serve as well in the kitchen with meat as it does filleting fish. 

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »