Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: It's starting  (Read 496 times)

Offline Van_Cleaver

It's starting
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:07:07 AM »
A little birdie told me they had to cut a hole through the ice to stock a certain Northeast lake with trout. Think shallow and weedy. ;)

Ice Fishing 247

It's starting
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:07:07 AM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
Re: It's starting
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:35:03 AM »
IF I HAD TO GUESS I WOULD SAY TOBBYHANNA STATE PARK..
                OR LOWER PROMISED LAND......

AM I CLOSE???????
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:58:16 AM »
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh be vewy, vewy qwiet.........................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;)

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »
could be either toby or Pl, they both got stocked on the 6th. I'll bet on Tobyhanna, it usually freezes first.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:44:39 AM »
I expect that some of us will be on the ice by next weekend 12/16 possibly. I'm starting to get over my disability and looking forward to getting out again. Starting off slow this year but I won't be missing it thankfully.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
Yeah chez it was one of them; Spider got it. My Northern contact sent me pics yesterday. Only a thin covering but capped all over. Personally I don't care how many people go there; just happy ice is starting. Once I was slamming Crappie on a private lake (now closed to ice fishing) and a resident came out to check on me. Told me they had just got back from fishing Toby.  I waited till he was off the ice before I burst out laughing. ::) The average size crappie in that lake was 10-11" and it also had nice perch. To cap it off, it wasn't uncommon to catch nice crappie in broad daylight. Some guys are mesmerized by stocked trout; and we know the PFBC is as well.

Offline RutNut

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:02:27 PM »
So what's wrong with being mesmerized by stocked trout???  ;) They fight like hell and are fun to catch! I don't know why they get such a bad rep!  ::)

Yeah, I was just on the PF&BC site last week and noticed the Fall Stocking got delayed at a few of the NEPA lakes this year.

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »
Honestly I agree with you; they are fun to catch, and if you brine and smoke them they are tasty. ;) My statement was really based on the whole stocking thing in PA; though I realize a huge chunk of license sales are from trout anglers, some of whom only go out for the opener. I think a lot of guys on this site would like to see some of that money redirected for say; Walleye or Muskies or Northerns, or just to conserve what wild trout streams we have left. Where I live there are limited opportunities for native (or stream bred) trout so the stocking fills that niche. Back to the glass half full part; I hope we get ice soon and you guys catch lots of trout. Have to get my truck tightened up cause I think I may be driving a couple hours soon.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »

Offline Spider1

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 01:02:53 PM »
I don't mind catching them and keeping a few but not too many. When I do keep a few and fillet them I notice that they are very mushy. They kinda taste that way too, not my favorite. I'd rather catch one good perch than 3 12" stockers.

Offline RutNut

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »
Honestly I agree with you; they are fun to catch, and if you brine and smoke them they are tasty. ;) My statement was really based on the whole stocking thing in PA; though I realize a huge chunk of license sales are from trout anglers, some of whom only go out for the opener. I think a lot of guys on this site would like to see some of that money redirected for say; Walleye or Muskies or Northerns, or just to conserve what wild trout streams we have left. Where I live there are limited opportunities for native (or stream bred) trout so the stocking fills that niche. Back to the glass half full part; I hope we get ice soon and you guys catch lots of trout. Have to get my truck tightened up cause I think I may be driving a couple hours soon.

I hear you! I just like to "push back" a little when guys start knocking the stocking program!  >:D

Thanks for the good wishes. You'll have to make a trip up to PL Lower Lake soon..........................I'll harass the trout while you guys look for the crappies and pickerel!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:05:34 PM by RutNut »

Offline Spider1

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
I'd rather see them stock crappies  ;)

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 07:39:52 PM »
MY PREDION WAS THE 18TH OF DECEMBER...
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 07:39:52 PM »

Offline ddmzbevan