Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: WHO USES JAWJACKERS?????>  (Read 1775 times)

Offline chez

• PBR Man
WHO USES JAWJACKERS?????>
« on: December 05, 2016, 07:41:38 AM »
MY DAUGHTER BOUGHT ME 2 JAWJACKERS FOR CHRISTMAS LAST YEAR. &: &: &: &:
       SHE WAS SO PROUD..I WAS KINDA EXSITED TO USE THEM......
MAN I HATE THE THINGS >:( >:( >:( >:(......I DID CATCH 1 PERCH ON 1 IN ABOUT 8 OUTINGS.
I USED THEM EVERY TIME I WENT OUT BUT ONCE.....
SEEMS LIKE IF YOU GET A BITE IT RIPS THE BAIT AND HOOK OUT OF THE FISHES MOUTH.
AND IF YOUR USING A LIVE BAIT,AND YOU GET A STRIKE AND MISS IT RIPS THE HOOK OUT OF THE BAIT.. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I THINK THESE THINGS ARE A JOKE IN MY EYES.BUT I GOTTA PUT THEM IN THE BUCKET.
SHE ASKED ME HOW I LIKED THEM AFTER A FEW TRIPS LAST YEAR....I TOLD HER THEY WERE GREAT BUT,,NOT TO BUY ME ANYMORE BECAUSE YOU CAN ONLY USE 2 AT A TIME >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D.....LOL.
I WATCHED EVERY VIDEO ON UTUBE ABOUT THESE THINGS.IM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT....
I THINK THERE JUST NOT FOR ME......
NOTHING LIKE A GOOD OLE WOODEN or POLOR TIPUP IN MY EYES.
ANY IMPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. :)
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

WHO USES JAWJACKERS?????>
« on: December 05, 2016, 07:41:38 AM »

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
Re: WHO USES JAWJACKERS?????>
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »
I don't like them either chez, for a couple of reasons. The reels freeze, the line freezes in the hole, the jawjacker gets wet and freezes..... :?  I have a friend who loves them though, and he catches fish. If the hook set is too severe, try an ultralight rod. Then trade them for beer.  u:)

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
they're kinda neet gadgets and some folks just love their gadgets. But personally, If I'm gonna set a trap, it's gonna be a tip up.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »
I don't like them either chez, for a couple of reasons. The reels freeze, the line freezes in the hole, the jawjacker gets wet and freezes..... :?  I have a friend who loves them though, and he catches fish. If the hook set is too severe, try an ultralight rod. Then trade them for beer.  u:)

I agree Dead Bird.
If my daughter didnt buy them for me i would trade them gor beers.lol.

Spider i like the old style tipups also.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »

I never had a problem with the reel freezing. Yes the line does freeze in the hole at times, but the line still moves. You just reel up and pull it up thru the ice. When the fish gets close to the hole, break the ice with your foot. I have pulled several fish up like that.

And yes, you do lose  the bait from time to time when a fish strikes. But I really don't think it's much more than when using tip-ups.

And when you get a fish on, you get the fun of playing it on the rod. Also, I like the fact that when a fish strikes and is hooked, the rod can play it while you are running over to it. How many fish have you lost on tip-ups because you couldn't get to it in time?

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
Its fair to say you don't care for them or that you don't catch anything using them, but they are no joke. Thousands of them are purchased and in use every winter. They have a long history, going back to a time when they were homemade jobs and you couldn't buy them. I made one probably twenty years ago and it caught fish almost every time I used it. Being a member on IceShanty back when there were just a few thousand members I can tell you that one of the most consistent posts that came up every year was does anyone have plans or pics of a slammer. Slammer, That's what they were called by the do it yourself guys. Their origins came about from guys trying to catch steelhead in inlets on the great lakes. They are not like jig rods or tipups. They need to be put to use on their own terms. For anyone having problems with their Jawjackers I would suggest using smaller baits than you would use on tip ups, even tipping small jigs with waxies. There are good tips on using them on the back of the packaging. You can set the strength of the snap when triggered, and set the trigger sensitivity. There is an illustration for how to hook a grub effectively.
FM 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:49:12 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
you got it FM. I made a couple of the slammers a few years ago. Put a small shiner on it with an anchor jig and you will be hooking plenty.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
you got it FM. I made a couple of the slammers a few years ago. Put a small shiner on it with an anchor jig and you will be hooking plenty.

Im must be just stupid :-\
I guess :-\

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 05:30:09 PM »
Cheer up your in good company!   !<>!
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
Cheer up your in good company!   !<>!
FM

Im good buddy.
Ill gunna put themJJ thru the ringer this season.

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
I have a few thoughts on those things. They were invented for catching trout. Especially steelhead and rainbows. I fished a lake up in the daks once a long time ago. It was known for salmon and trout. I set up my tip ups as proscribed for salmon. Bait (minnow) right under the ice. I was with a friend and we both had flags but no hookups. My thought was that the rainbows were hitting so fast that they were ripping the minnow right of the hook, triggering the flag but no getting hooked because there was no way to get to the tip up that fast. I should have tried quietly jigging a couple holes to see if I could get one but it didn''t occur to me at the time. I think the jawjackers would have been perfect to use in the situation.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
I've never used them but am definitely intrigued by them.  On my only 2 trips to Quaker Lake I ran into a few guys on the ice that were set up for the big rainbows and those guys swear by them.  Just my 2-cents

Just like any new fangled gear, it takes some getting used to, case in point, the Mr. Jigger.  I bought one years ago and had since packed it in with spare junk never to see the ice again until I fished with VanCleaver a couple years ago, he was out fishing me with the nice pannies and his Mr. Jigger was doing much of the work, next trip out I packed it along and this time took the time to fine tune it, since then I take it regularly.

I could see a Jaw Jacker possibly working for Calicos at night, the Mr. Jigger does and that one doesn't even set the hook.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »
You would have to find a delicate setting on it for callico. Alias paper mouths.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 07:57:25 AM »
I've used them more for trout than anything. They are definitely deadly on trout. First 2 years I used them regularly on Promised Land Lower Lake and they were definitely the ticket. Several times I caught my limit very quickly and then it was catch and release.  And most times when it tripped a fish was on. I'd say at least 4 of 5 times.

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 08:02:39 AM »
A nice ul noodle rod would probably be the ticket for callie on a jacker. And you can set the drag lighter. Just enough to hook em and not tear em.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:05:33 AM by zziipp »
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 08:02:39 AM »