Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Best spinning reels...  (Read 583 times)

Offline Big-Bass

• Ice Man
Best spinning reels...
« on: November 15, 2016, 12:57:28 PM »
What are the best option for spinning reels for ice rods?  I have a Shimano Sienna 500 but was also looking at a Symetre 500 or something similar.  Any options with other brands or even the inline fly style reels that are on the market now.  I am looking for a new reel to match my St. Croix Mojo Ice 28ML.  Thanks!

Ice Fishing 247

Best spinning reels...
« on: November 15, 2016, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Re: Best spinning reels...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »
I have both of the Shimano reels you mentioned. I use a Sienna on the ice. The Symetre reels are over priced and have a nylon gear that is not stocked. So, when it wears out, and they do, I have 2 of them, the reel is rendered useless. This info was passed.on to me from a certified Shimano repair tech. The Sienna reels.most.likely have the same problem but at a third of the price I don't expect as much. The Sienna reels preform well on the ice. However, check out the Fisk reel that our advertiser Expedition Outdoors sells. Made for ice fishing. You may find you like it.
FM
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:55:26 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Online KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
I use the sienna reels for my deadstick rod. I purchased a bunch when a tackle store was going out of business. They are a great reel for the money. I didn't know about the nylon gear on the other model. Thanks for the info FM.
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »
Yep, it is the main drive gear not an insignificant part. I was dumb struck when the tech told me that he couldn't fix my reel because they didn't support that part. The Symetry costs $99 or more not extravagant but for a work-a-day guy like me it was an investment that I would have been happy to maintain. That reel is junked and its twin is starting to go. I won't be buying another.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »