Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Heads Up  (Read 2544 times)

Offline nightfisher

Heads Up
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:21:38 AM »
Took my driftboat up to the lodge Tuesday as I have people coming today. Walked in the house and it was 28 degrees inside.
Went down in the basement to check the heater and ofcourse all the plumbing had exploded. Checked out the heater and there was no gas flow.
Went outside to find somebody decided to save me some money and closed the valves on both propane tanks. 20 hours later all is well other than my wallet.
Theres been quite a few thefts and incidents of vandalism in the Altmar area lately, keep your eyes open.

Ice Fishing 247

Heads Up
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:21:38 AM »

Offline choo choo

Re: Heads Up
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 06:38:39 AM »
Took my driftboat up to the lodge Tuesday as I have people coming today. Walked in the house and it was 28 degrees inside.
Went down in the basement to check the heater and ofcourse all the plumbing had exploded. Checked out the heater and there was no gas flow.
Went outside to find somebody decided to save me some money and closed the valves on both propane tanks. 20 hours later all is well other than my wallet.
Theres been quite a few thefts and incidents of vandalism in the Altmar area lately, keep your eyes open.
Bummer Jim...Does anyone up there have any ideas on who might be pulling the BS? There was a guy stealing propane tanks at my campground a few years ago , so he could stay warm at his place for free. That was down the road from you about 7 miles. But to just shut someones fuel valves off, knowing what could happen is more than just a prank, man it's criminal. Glad you had your water pump shut off... or could have been even worse. Time for a lock box on the valves , tanks and a trail camera!
Man I feel sorry for those (kids) (guy's) if you find out who did this....hope you catch them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:42:13 AM by choo choo »
Stay Safe.......WHEN IN DOUBT ,  DON'T HEAD OUT

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:41:36 AM »
Sorry to hear Jim that sucks , glad you got it repaired maybe a little  camera here and there might help

Offline JSOKO

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:32:11 PM »
Sorry to hear Jim, it was a bad weekend up there.
My one buddy has his boat sent down the river while he was getting his truck. im sure you heard the story already.
Some bad things happening of late.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:32:11 PM »

Offline choo choo

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:35:33 AM »
Sorry to hear Jim, it was a bad weekend up there.
My one buddy has his boat sent down the river while he was getting his truck. im sure you heard the story already.
Some bad things happening of late.
I was up at Altmar Saturday night, and found out it wasn't just a prank sending the drift boat down the river, they tried stealing some locked gear on the boat ,and when the boat was found downriver, the oars were no longer with the boat...yup $ 500 dollars worth of oars stolen, which really sucks.

They were also talking about the propane shut off and burst pipes at Nightfishers place.(any leads yet Jim on who might have trespassed at your place?)

Offline nightfisher

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »
Nothing yet Steve, nothing a little time and money didn't fix. Glad I'm handy.

Offline fishon

• Fish'n Machine
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
Dang it guys, that does really suck!!
What the hell are people going to do with drift boat oars? Or WTH are the idiots going to do with turning off someones propane? It almost sounds like it's an inside personally know job, not just some kids, unless it's local kids that are always hanging around?!?!
Fish On!
Have you hugged a fish today?

Offline webs820

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:05 PM »
I was fishing in Altmar back in October...bunch of guys pulled up to the tackle shop...said all their gear was stolen from their truck beds...rod/reel combos worth big bucks....messed up to say the least.  they had lots of $$$$ invested in their stuff....traveled from hundreds of miles to enjoy a few days on the river.  just wrong. non-sportsman.  It sucks but you've got to lock it all up now.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:05 PM »

Online denny2112

• Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
it happens all the time i had a brand new 40 hp tiller stolen off my boat at walmart  last year

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:29:23 AM »
it happens all the time i had a brand new 40 hp tiller stolen off my boat at walmart  last year
Now that takes some balls with cameras facing the parking lot , plus people walking in and out
One tailgate treatment would make them think twice ,  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:35:24 AM by Filetandrelease »

Offline perchgypsy

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »
I work in the construction industry (steamfitter).and was working along side a young kid prob 19yrs old(carpenter)
Two yrs ago that had all his tackle and rods stolen...they caught the guy who was doing it and he just happened to be from up that way...I think parish if I remember correctly...well I'm not saying this same person is in on it but people are creatures of habit...wouldn't suprise me a bit...felt so bad for the kid he is a avid fisherman for a kid his age and I could tell this got to him,it was more than just fishing stuff to him as a lot of us feel the same way
ICE PLEASE

Offline Ranger22

• IF247 Staff
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »
I saw the other day on Facebook that a Guy had all his gear stolen at Maxwell Creek up there.  :+
If you don't want to know what a 67 year old
man fom the backwoods of louisiana thinks you
probably shouldn't ask him!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 03:46:32 PM »
I saw the other day on Facebook that a Guy had all his gear stolen at Maxwell Creek up there.  :+
That would be a different bunch of thieves ,
Maxwell is a long ride from the salmon river

Offline choo choo

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 10:33:15 PM »
There are thieves and low lifes all over this state, and Pa. too. You can't leave anything unguarded down my way along the River (Delaware) especially any boat launch, or fishing access. It really is a shame how things have changed in the past 20 years.
I bought my drift boat in 1995, and that year and a few years later, I would trailer it up to the Salmon river and do my own shuttle with a Mountain Bike.  I would put in at Altmar Bridge , float and fish to Pineville, anchor it at the Pineville Ramp, then ride the bike back up to Altmar to get my truck and trailer...I never had one thing stolen. I've done the same thing many, many times down home on the Delaware back then too.
 No way would I leave my gear unguarded like that ever again, on any river...too many thieves around and it is very hard to trust people and some fisherman anymore.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:38:10 AM by choo choo »

Offline nightfisher

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »
  I did the self shuttle a few times last summer. First time I had my waders on, that seemingly short bike ride back to the house
was a bummer. I'd anchor the boat well off shore and drop the bike at the house, then walk back down. Didn't have any problems but I'd never do it during the season.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question