Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Safety Equipment?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
Safety Equipment?
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »
The recent incidents on the ice this year got me thinking. How many of you use picks when you go on the ice? Do you also have a throw rope and or cushion or ring? Anything else anyone uses in the way of ice safety equipment?  I am thinking next year I will seriously consider a floatation suit also.

The first piece of safety equipment I ever bought was a set of picks. They go around my neck EVERY TIME before I go out on the ice! Doesn't matter the thickness of the ice. The last few years when the ice was over 18" I got some funny looks and even got questioned about it. My theory is I would much rather have them and never need them, than to NOT have them and need them! THe incident in Canada is prime example- who would think if the ice was thick enough for a snowmobile, and temps were below zero, you would go thru the ice? Just proves ANYTHING can happen.

A few years later I got a throw rope and a throwable cushion, in case I or another fisherman ever goes thru and needs to be pulled out. It goes in my sled first outing of the year and stays there with my other gear.

Just wondered how many others do the same?

And any suggestions on other equipment or ideas as far as ice safety goes? 

Ice Fishing 247

Safety Equipment?
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
Re: Safety Equipment?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:18:50 AM »
I keep a 50' length of climbing rope in my sled. I've seen throw bags and keep meaning to make one. It's a bag that the rope goes into. You hold onto the tag end of the rope and throw the bag and the rope feeds out. I've also seen the rope stuffed into a plastic jug. The idea is to throw the rope past the person in the water and pull the rope back to them so they aren't struggling in the water to try and catch the rope.

I always keep my spikes around my neck, you never know what the ice will do. I also have an emergency whistle. I haven't gotten around to making a pack of dry clothes... gotta do that some time. And next year I will be sporting a brandy new Sikre suit and a better set of creepers.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
The best piece of safety equipment I own resides between my ears. Everyone is born with one how we use it is optional. I fish alone mostly deliberately avoiding spots that attract a crowd so a throw rope is not much use. I do use spikes but only put them on when the ice is thinner than 5 inches. I don't go out on honeycomb ice or on very warm days. It doesn't seem right ice fishing when it's  warm. A floatation suit would be nice but I could see them giving some guys a false.sense of security.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
The throw rope is actually more for other people. But it could be handy if I go in and there is someone that can throw it to me. But I actually carry it to help others if needs be.

the spikes, are small and tuck right into my pockets, I don't even notice them most of the time. The string they are tied to goes behind my neck and is sealed in behind my hood zipper so it is more trouble to remove them than to keep them on. You never know on ice, there could be a spot where the ice is thin for whatever reason or where the ice has been damaged somehow and the damage covered up with snow, or a bad pressure crack or whatever. Either way, they are there just in case.

And that flotation suit, yeah, I like that kinda false security.

But your right, the best piece of safety gear is in between your ears. Be smart and use the proper safety gear and don't go out on questionable ice no matter what anybody else says. If it doesn't look safe, don't go out on it.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
I have pics,in my bucket usally..
I will use that safety device Fm is talking about more.
THR PICS BELONG AROUND MY NECK
You think i would know better,AFTER 3 DUNKS MYSELF.
I DO CARRY A BOAT CUSHION WITH 30' OF ROPE IN MY SLED AT ALL TIMES.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 12:50:35 PM »
I always have the pics in my pocket or around my neck, never had to use them yet.   On iffy Ice I bring rope but I always questioned how I would pull someone out on glare ice.  You can throw them the rope but they'd be more likely to pull you in than for you to pull them out even if you're wearing cleats.  Then one day it hit me, take the auger and drill down 1/2 way or more and wrap the rope around that for an anchor point.  Something I should've done last Friday on the ice when the wind was blowing everything including sleds all over the place.  It might work in a pinch.

Offline Ranger22

• IF247 Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »
I have a 25' rope with a metal clasp and boat bumper attached to it in my sled at all times and everyone that fishes with me knows it's there.
Plus I have my picks with me too, and my Arctic Armor suit.
If you don't want to know what a 67 year old
man fom the backwoods of louisiana thinks you
probably shouldn't ask him!

Offline CowDawg

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
- I carry 2 sets of ice picks. 1 set in the sled and the other set in my coat pocket.

- A homemade rope bag, with (2) 50' lengths of rope with large pretied loops on each end to easily slip over your head, shoulders and under your arm pits.  Reason is so the victim doesn't have to try clinging to the ice edge or threading water for a long time. The cold frigid water will wear down your physical strength much faster.

After looking at my photos from the other day, I'm now considering going with longer lengths of rope now. Just to be further away from the bad ice if needed.

- 11lb. eskimo spud bar. I did become complacent with it though, it was in my truck more than with me. But that will change!

- Arctic Armor suit. If it can float and hold up my 205 lbs. longer that's a good thing but it's more for the better insulation barrier from the frigid water and air.
Rather than wearing street clothes that will become water logged.  You have to think about the duration your body is going to be in the water.
Hypothermia will drain your body heat and strength very fast!

- Common sense

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 03:18:34 PM »
Spud bars a good one, I forgot that I have. I take it out anytime I'm going out on new ice, old ice, snow covered ice or unfamiliar ice. Saved webs820 and I from a possible dunking on Tupper Lake this winter. The thing about spuds is you have to use them, not just have one on your sled.
Have an Ice Day!

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 03:41:51 PM »
Henry David- that is a good idea using the auger as an anchor point!

And spud bar is something I should probably pick up before next season. I have been trying to find a lighter one. Most of the ones I have seen are pretty heavy.

Good discussion! Keep the comments and suggestions coming................................ and thanks.

Offline Ranger22

• IF247 Staff
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »
I always have the pics in my pocket or around my neck, never had to use them yet.   On iffy Ice I bring rope but I always questioned how I would pull someone out on glare ice.  You can throw them the rope but they'd be more likely to pull you in than for you to pull them out even if you're wearing cleats.  Then one day it hit me, take the auger and drill down 1/2 way or more and wrap the rope around that for an anchor point.  Something I should've done last Friday on the ice when the wind was blowing everything including sleds all over the place.  It might work in a pinch.
I thought about that but at least having a rope attached to someone in the water is better than nothing, at least for peace of mind until more help arrives.
If you don't want to know what a 67 year old
man fom the backwoods of louisiana thinks you
probably shouldn't ask him!

Offline Jiggerman

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »
I always have my pics around my neck until I am confident in the ice all over where I am fishing for the day. 
I also always have at least 25 ft of rope with loops tied in the ends.  Also   have ice anchors to use for anchoring my self down or somebody else. 

If I would need to anchor down and get anchor to get some body out I would drill a hole into ice deep enough to put heel of boot in and throw them the rope. 

Ice angels work for good anchors in dry holes also.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »

Offline Bcons

• Ice Man
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 06:31:23 PM »
There's a homemade one I thought was great posted a couple years ago on another site I dont use so I made one.  It was thought of by another long time addict as I remember, just don't remember which.

I just did it my way although his idea. A simple version without making a monkey fist.

A 1' piece of 2" pvc, a 2" cap drill a hole in the middle of the cap, bolt an eye bolt with the eye facing inside the pipe to be capped.  Thread end of a 50' piece of paracord through the 1' piece of 2" & tie to the eyebolt.  Then glue the cap with the eyebolt already tied on to the 1' piece.  Leave the other 49' out on the bench.  I dropped 2 handfulls of wet concrete mortar down into the pipe to fill the cap at the other end & left it standing upright to cure at the bottom.
Next day I coiled the paracord around the inside of the 2" pipe until almost all the 50' was inside.  Take a second 2" cap drill a hole in the center thread the other end through about 18" & tie a knot creating a loop to put over your wrist.
Put the 2nd cap on the other end but DON'T glue just dry fit.  Carry with you, it's tiny.
When need place loop over hand on throwing arm, slide cap off pipe just enough & throw pipe to person in need of rescue. 
They have to reach it yes, but it's easy to throw 50'. They can also grab the piece of 2" pipe instead of just a rope. 
Down side I learned trying it is the mortar cracks and breaks up after 1 or 2 throws & has to be replaced.  But small price to pay for such a small device I can easily throw 50'

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 06:53:34 PM »
I always have my pics around my neck until I am confident in the ice all over where I am fishing for the day. 
I also always have at least 25 ft of rope with loops tied in the ends.  Also   have ice anchors to use for anchoring my self down or somebody else. 

If I would need to anchor down and get anchor to get some body out I would drill a hole into ice deep enough to put heel of boot in and throw them the rope. 

Ice angels work for good anchors in dry holes also.

GOOD IDEAS JIGGERMAN
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 07:10:38 PM »
I admit to being lazy the last couple of years since I got Calamity Bob, so the only safety stuff I regularly carry is a PFD and a boat bumper with 50' of line and a grapple on the other end.

In lieu of pics around your neck I suggest looking at ice climbing anchors. They are designed to be set by a person dangling from a rope in front of a vertical ice face so they don't require any pressure to start. I use them to hold down my shanties instead of the manufacturer supplied ones and they can't be beat. You can spin them in with one hand. If you are in the water and can get one set, you can't go down. If you need to toss a line to someone in the water they are faster than the auger and provide all the anchor point you need. Look up black diamond turbo as an example, there are many others. Once you set one for yourself you'll be sold, but they are pricey.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 07:10:38 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question