Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: CuseFan survives Polar dip  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Boggey

• Ice Man
CuseFan survives Polar dip
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

I just got off the phone with Cusefan. I wondered why I hadn't heard from my young friend for a couple of days. Turned out he had gone fishing up in Canada at his families camp. While sitting out on the ice with his snowmobile, shanty and all his equipment, the ice gave out directly under him sending his sled and everything else down to the bottom of the lake in 60 fow.  Cuse went under with it but clawed his way back to the surface and repeatedly broke the ice trying to clamor his way back out. After several attempts, he found enough solid ice to get his elbows up and throw a leg up and rolled his way out to safe ice.

Just the beginning of the story as he has related it to me. The temperature is 19 degrees below zero, he is a mile away from his camp and not a living person in site to come to his aid. Soaked and wet , he made the journey back to his camp with his clothes now sticking to his skin. This is a survival story of immense proportion. I can only imagine the alternate scenarios and am so grateful the Lord has given my friend an extended lease on life. Cuse is one lucky fella and the Lord was truly watching over him. His story is chilling in moreways than one.
With the Lords help, one day at a time

Ice Fishing 247

CuseFan survives Polar dip
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »

Offline nightfisher

Re: CuseFan survives Polar dip
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:30:28 PM »
 I saw the story Jim, Glad Matt's ok. spooky for sure.

Offline choo choo

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
Scary story right there...glad you are OK Cusefan!!
Stay Safe.......WHEN IN DOUBT ,  DON'T HEAD OUT

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
Great to hear Matt made it out ok....that story in itself sent chills through me....my god he is lucky! End of story!
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

Proud member of the O.L.L.C. and N.S.T.!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »

I'm glad he is safe and sound , material things can be  replaced lives can't

Online FISHFORPIKE

• Charter Member
  • Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 05:49:16 AM »
Unbelievable!  Matt, so glad you are OK - that had to be a most harrowing experience.
ICE is "NICE"

Offline Cusefan78

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 06:10:03 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'm good. I wanted the story to get out so people understand how dangerous our sport is. honestly if I didn't have my striker ice suit on I wouldn't be here. Please everyone be careful out there. This years ice isn't good. I was on 10" of black ice and it broke up. For all the new guys I really hope you think about getting a floating ice suit like a striker. People have been reaching out to me offering gear. I'm all set. The sled was fully insured and I'm a gear rat so I still have plenty of stuff. I'll be back out there as soon as Im able to. Tight lines my friends.

Offline Carpboy

• Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:28:07 AM »
Glad you live to fish another day CuseFan.  Unbelievable story, and even more unbelievable positive attitude.  Great advice.  Kudos.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:28:07 AM »

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:42:29 AM »
honestly if I didn't have my striker ice suit on I wouldn't be here.

smart kid! Good to have to here and on the top of the ice. A young man in Vermont went in in his truck, he got out of the truck but died of exposure trying to get back to camp. You got lucky. How did the striker work out for you? Did you get wet all over?
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline Cusefan78

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:12 AM »
smart kid! Good to have to here and on the top of the ice. A young man in Vermont went in in his truck, he got out of the truck but died of exposure trying to get back to camp. You got lucky. How did the striker work out for you? Did you get wet all over?
yeah I was wet. The striker suit kept me floating even after my boots filled up. When I finally got out I walked to a friends a little less then a mile away. The striker suit was frozen stiff. Honestly I don't remember to much of it other then it was really cold and I couldn't breath. I recall my feet where not working all that well either. I kind was dragging my feet one step at a time. I have no idea how long I was out there or how long I was in the water. Got to my friends house and collapsed. He peeled the frozen clothes off me and got me near his wood burning stove. Sorry I can't give you that many details it's just a blure. I honestly hope you guys don't have to experience that and if you do you have gear that will protect you. anyways. I have some frostbite On my feet and my wrists but I'll be good

Offline Spider1

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 07:36:06 AM »
I hope you didn't have any internal damage from the cold. Did you see a doctor? Man, I'm glad you made it, sounds like if it took a little longer to get back you might not have made it. Sounds like you're a tough sob. What do you think made the ice bust up? 10 inches? Was it the weight of your sled or was it just crumbly ice?

Offline Cusefan78

• Ice Man
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 08:07:55 AM »
I don't think the sled was the issue. I was all over that lake. I was told the dam was opened up and that might have contributed to it.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 08:07:55 AM »

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »
Wow! Sounds like that was a CLOSE one!  ::) Glad you made it out safe!

Offline Its ice

• Its ice
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
Omg is that a scary situation.  I'm glad your still w us cusefan and u only lost gear and sled not your life. Everything else is replaceable.....thanx for sharing Your story.... floating ice suit my next purchase.
Watch the ice

Offline Spider1

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »
I was told the dam was opened up and that might have contributed to it.

ahhh... you might have something there. Glad your alive and I wish you a total and speedy recovery.

I'm with "Its ice", I see a float suit in my future.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »