Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Favorite spud bar?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
Favorite spud bar?
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:39:27 AM »
I have some friends that can make me a spud and wondered whether any of you have tried anything like the Jiffy Mille Lacs and if you would recommend that type of head configuration - any cons that I should know about?
Also, what are the typical dimensions - about 4' long and 3/4" diameter?
[/center]

Ice Fishing 247

Favorite spud bar?
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:39:27 AM »

Online eaglejac

Re: Favorite spud bar?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
I have the Mil Lacs and I don't like it and would not buy one again.. If you make one it needs to be about 54" long x 1"round steel bar stock , the blade should be about 2 3/4 across x 5" tall x 1/2" thick for chopping holes. Bigger and heaver if you can handle a big gun..

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 03:06:52 PM »
yikes, 5' long 1.00 round stock. that thing is gonna be heavy. Mine is a 4 1/2' piece of 5/8" rebar with a blade welded to it. The blade is 2" x 3/8" x about 4" long and has a small "T" welded to the other end. The blade has a simple single bevel edge ground on it. the whole thing weighs around 5 lbs give or take, I've never put it on a scale... I might have to now that I think about it. I've used it to open holes and check ice as I go and it works fine. I'm sure if I had to I could chop a hole in the ice with it pretty easy. I put a length of foam pipe wrap on it to make it fill my hand better and added a 1" web tether so it doesn't end up at the bottom of a lake like the last one did.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Online eaglejac

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »
yikes, 5' long 1.00 round stock. that thing is gonna be heavy. Mine is a 4 1/2' piece of 5/8" rebar with a blade welded to it. The blade is 2" x 3/8" x about 4" long and has a small "T" welded to the other end. The blade has a simple single bevel edge ground on it. the whole thing weighs around 5 lbs give or take, I've never put it on a scale... I might have to now that I think about it. I've used it to open holes and check ice as I go and it works fine. I'm sure if I had to I could chop a hole in the ice with it pretty easy. I put a length of foam pipe wrap on it to make it fill my hand better and added a 1" web tether so it doesn't end up at the bottom of a lake like the last one did.

I used mine to chop holes before I started to use all the power tools,, No more chopping ice for this guy,  If you just want something for checking ice it does not need to be as heavy.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
Yes - just using to check ice thickness
[/center]

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 06:53:21 PM »

I own 3 spuds but for just checking ice for safety and Eskimo economy spud works fine and retails around 20.00 and won't wear your arm and shoulder out

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 06:58:14 PM »
I never owned a SPUD BAR TILL THIS YEAR...
WITH ICE CONDITIONS the WAY THERE WERE and STILL ARE..
I FIGURED I NEEDED 1.
I MENTIONED TO FM one DAY I WANTED TO PURCHASE one..
HE DIRECTED ME TO DICKS SPORTING GOODS SAID HE WAS THERE THE DAY BEFORE and THEY HAD 3 LEFT.
SO I RAN UP AT 9.30 am and SURE AS SPRING WILL BE HERE ,THERE WAS 1 LEFT.$ 19.99,,GREAT DEAL.
RED
5 '  LOOP for strap and sharp as a KNIFE....
WAS A GREAT INVESTMENT..
THANKS AGAIN FM. :)
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline redblur00

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »
Harbor freight 20 bucks works fine for me lol

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »

Online capt.crappie

• Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 08:22:33 PM »
I use a regular wooden handled ice scraper. Like ya would use on your drive or side walks. Its heavy enough to check for weak spots & does not wear your arm out using it. I had made 2 out of rebar over the years. Both of the are on the bottom of a lake.  :-[ :-[

Online Van_Cleaver

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
My brother welder some galv. tubing to an old axe blade. Nice idea, but way too heavy. I took a grinder and shortened the tube and removed a bunch of material so it was symetrical and more of a triangle shape. Paired it with a broken shovel handle and put a loop through it; it's served me well for the last few years.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question