Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: New to Ice fishing just moved to Rindge NH  (Read 735 times)

Offline JwebRindge

• Ice Man
New to Ice fishing just moved to Rindge NH
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:40:35 PM »
I just moved to Rindge and I'm on Contoocook Lake and I'm a total newbie to ice fishing.  I went out last weekend and purchased all the stuff I need to start I think.  I was very excited to give it a go, so I went out on the lake drilled some holes were I got fish in the fall but no luck. 

I'm interested in pan fish.  Do I fish in deeper water or shallow?  Should I jig or put the tip up with a minnow? 

Like I said I a total newbie so any insight would be great..

Thanks
Jweb

Ice Fishing 247

New to Ice fishing just moved to Rindge NH
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:40:35 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • Game Over, Stupid Won
Re: New to Ice fishing just moved to Rindge NH
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:08:03 PM »
We.have a very knowledgeable member from your state. CaptSpike, i'm sure he will be able to share some pointers.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »
Welcome jweb! The main thing is safety. One of the first things you learn is what not to walk on. If the ice is less than 4" thick of good looking ice, wait for another day. You don't have much fun when your up to your chin in 33 degree water. get a pair of ice picks. they are hand held picks that you keep around your neck in case you go in. they can save your life.

As far as fishing for pannies, a small ultra light or light jigging rod around 24" or less, some small jigs and a pocket full of waxies or spikes (aka maggots). Let the jig hit the bottom and then bring it up about a foot. After that it's just some light jigging action and then let it sit, a little more jigging, then let it sit.

The best way to learn is to go out with a trusted mentor. You'll learn a ton in just a day.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline CaptSpike

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »
Welcome to NH. Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the state and not familiar with that particular piece of water. Lucky for you few people in NH target panfish. The usually fish for trout or bass which leaves you more space to target the pan fish. I just took a look at the map of the lake (NH fish and game website) and it looks like one 20' hole. I would cover that hole. Start where the bottom starts to flatten out and fish those edges. If you have electronics your search will be shortened, if not some trial and error will be needed on your part. As everyone here has said it is a weird year for ice in NH so be very careful and check as you go. Also as mentioned look for other people to fish with that may know the area. Pan fish can be found shallow but my experience is where the bottom transitions from an edge to a deep water flat (20') and then anywhere suspended out over the hole should yield crappie and white perch. Yellow perch, larger ones anyway will be in anywhere from 6-15' of water grubbing in what grass/weeds there might be. The dink yellows are pretty much anywhere. If you look on the home page of the site you'll see a little article I did on white perch fishing. I believe there is a link to a video I made on catching them. That will help if you want to jig for them. Traps do perform well however with the expense of live bait I gave up trap fishing years ago for jigging and enjoy that much more.
There used to be some active members on this NH sectioned but they disappeared. The site is full of people more than willing to give you help with any questions you may have. They just won't be specific to your particular waters. But fishing is fishing and what works somewhere will work somewhere else. Starting where you caught them in open water is a good start. It may have been the wrong time or a bad day. Ice fishing isn't always a slam fest and can make for some long days.
Good luck and let us know how you do.
If you have any other specific questions I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.
Spike
I catch fish........It's what I do.....
Experience.....There is no substitute.
So many fish.............so little time.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »