Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Musky teeth vs leader  (Read 696 times)

Offline Josephtree

• Ice Man
Musky teeth vs leader
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
What is the preferred way to rig when Muskie are more likely than not what's biting? 

I lost about as many as I was able to land the last time I was out and just hated it!  That feeling of setting the hook after a blistering run off, feeling a solid fish, a shake of its head and then NOTHING.... yeah,  hate it!

I have one suggestion that I'm trying first, which is to forget 20# fluoro and go for much heavier mono leader.  Somebody said to go right to steel leader material.

I'm just at the start of my learning curve here. What's the best combination of leader material and hook size, then?

Ice Fishing 247

Musky teeth vs leader
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »

Offline Its ice

• Its ice
Re: Musky teeth vs leader
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:34:37 PM »
Black braided ice line to  black wire leader( 6inch min) w large trebble hook.....
Watch the ice

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »
There are tons of pretied titanium thin wire leaders. FM makes toothy leaders also.some guys use 80 lb mono but to me its to thick and coils for still fishing under tipups. Thin pre rigged wire leader is the way to go.you'll pay a couple dollars a pc but when you hook one and drop em on the ice that 2 or 3 bucks will be well spent.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »
I think my tipup line is 25lbs. I use a snap swivel on the end of the line and snelled hooks. That way I can customize them to the fish targeted. Last year I got some nice wire leaders with a blade on the end and good treble hooks. THink they were made my Northland. Supposed to be good for Pike and Muskie, but would probably work good on big pickerel too. very easy to snap on and off.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
What is the preferred way to rig when Muskie are more likely than not what's biting? 

I lost about as many as I was able to land the last time I was out and just hated it!  That feeling of setting the hook after a blistering run off, feeling a solid fish, a shake of its head and then NOTHING.... yeah,  hate it!

I have one suggestion that I'm trying first, which is to forget 20# fluoro and go for much heavier mono leader.  Somebody said to go right to steel leader material.

I'm just at the start of my learning curve here. What's the best combination of leader material and hook size, then?

If you are willing to make a small investment you can for about $100 get what you need to make your own wire leaders that you can custom design to your specific needs. I do it and had for a number of years been selling them here on the site. I added beads and spinner blades to mine and called they Toothy Leaders. I have caught all sorts of fish on them bass, walleye, pickerel, pike, and musky, so IMO the wire thing spooking fish is a non issue. I noticed one of our tournament bass entries was wearing a Toothy Leader in its mouth. You will need either sevenstrand or titanium leader material, (I use the Sevenstrand for mine) awesome sharp treble hooks (VMC) correctly sized sleves to crimp the wire, and crimpers. A good set of wire cutters is another key item that is indispensable. It is said that you can tie the titanium wire in knots and don't need the crimps, I don't know about that one way or the other. I like an 18 inch wire. If I'm in deeper water I will sometimes then put in some 17lb fluorocarbon between the wire and the main dacron tip up line.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »
Yup buy your own materials and make them.  That way you can have hooks as large or small as you need, add shiny blades, etc. etc.  it's a little hobby and enjoyable making your own leaders.

Offline redblur00

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 07:22:29 PM »
I just buy them rarely do they go bad its metal. I'd never use fleuro or mono for musky. They aren't like trout they don't really care if they can see the leader. I'm not a fan of big hooks like others said before. I used fms advice and went with smaller hooks and I do alot better.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 07:22:29 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question