Author Topic: More pan fishing  (Read 1447 times)

Offline CaptSpike

More pan fishing
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »

We hit Wicwas lake in Meredith NH today. It was everyone’s first time fishing here except for Dana. It was supposed to be warm so we traveled light, again except for Dana. Mark, Matt and I rode up together and met Dana and he led us to the access site. We unloaded and Dana shuttled everyone out to the “zone” on his snowmobile. We located the deeper hole and started fishing. Dana, Matt and Mark all had small crappie biting and I couldn’t buy a bite. I changed up my lures and bait and eventually found something that worked. In the meantime everyone else was catching keep-able yellow perch and some dink size as well. We peppered the area with holes and went in search mode. A couple of hardsides to our west were doing well using tip ups. It was clear they were in the “zone”. I eventually found a hole over 24′ of water where the bottom transitioned up to 22 and flattened out. I was able to land a few keeper crappie from this hole as well as some decent yellow perch. I only wish I had found that spot earlier. We offered to move Dana but he was content picking fish where he was. By the time we left he had gathered a good amount of perch and what was to be the lunker crappie for the day at 13″ and some nice shoulders. I had two Large mouth that were the actual lunkers for the trip. The second larger fish broke my leader as I was trying to reach down and pull him out of the holes. Got one of my good jigs.

The bass were a lot of fun on the ultra light jig rods.
We were off the water around noon.

My wife said she saw two guys fishing Kingston lake when she walked the dogs. I’m still not brave enough to attempt that. I plan on hitting Greenwood (a smaller lake) in the morning to catch the first light bite. It’s usually good until 8:30 then the fish are hard to come by.

I’ll let you know how I make out. I skipped that same planned trip last weekend (too tired and slept in). No football games this week to worry about missing this week so I’ll get up early.

Oh yeah if you haven’t heard the rotary ice fishing derby has been postponed until the end of February.

Good luck if you get out.
I catch fish........It's what I do.....
Experience.....There is no substitute.
So many fish.............so little time.

Ice Fishing 247

More pan fishing
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline Bog

• Just an old woodsman
Re: More pan fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:53 PM »
Nice

Ice Fishing 247

Re: More pan fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:53 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question