Author Topic: Finally got to fish!  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Van_Cleaver

Finally got to fish!
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
So Fri. I took a personal  ;) day off from work and drove North a couple hours to fish  a private lake which is loaded with gills. 4" of black ice with a little snow on top over the entire surface. Started with plastic on my active rod and a  hand tied jig on a Schooley rig with a waxie. Got a nice gill followed by a crappie on my jigging stick, while the dead stick was also producing  steadily. Fished all day even though I could have left by mid morning since I rarely keep more than eight gills if they have any size. Slowed mid day and picked up just before dark. I stopped at my test hole and hit a nice one on the way out. Still marking fish I hooked and lost three more before deciding I was just too tired to fish any more. Kept six out of two dozen or more. and also released five Pumpkin seeds which were a bit smaller. All the gills were over eight the biggest a little over nine". Some of the ones I released were bigger than what I had on the ice. Always bodes well for future stock. Great day to be on ice.   ;D

Ice Fishing 247

Finally got to fish!
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »

Offline ice attic

• Ice Man
Re: Finally got to fish!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
Nice catch, glad you got out. I'm going to try to get out this week before the snow comes on the weekend. I will be plowing if it snows. !<>!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 01:45:13 AM »
Nice ones, what kind of rod is that in the pic ?

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »
HD, it's a Schooley Arctic Blue; a killer dead stick (and cheap!) , especially when paired with mr. Jigger. ;) I think I had a shorter (24") one when I fished PL with you. That one is actually a 36" UL. MJ didn't go out til mid day when the bite slowed.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »

Offline diehard

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:26:13 PM »
orange slender spoon, nice! 
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 05:03:51 PM »

Nice job and some great eats

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:19:42 PM »
Thanks, but wish it was my job! Slender Spoon was working it, but so were a lot of other lures. First fish through the ice always seem to taste the best. This from last year but the exact same meal(s) I just finished. !<>!

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »
Got out again yesterday. Drove two hours to fish for gills on a smallish, private lake. Took home my usual eight and released more than that along with a few perch and a bass. Dead sticks and Mr. Jiggers handled the mid day blahs, and then I started marking and catching fish on the jigging sticks late day. Fished from 2:30 to 6:30. Ice was 5.5" and had some really slushy spots. Home cut fries, breaded fillets, home made tartar sauce and white wine for dinner... Life is good!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 11:56:05 PM »
Beautiful gills, there is an art to that type of fishing, it reminds me of fly fishing.

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:53:42 AM »
HD, funny thing; the best lure was probably my hand tied Wooly Bugger knock off. Choc. lab body (brushed out) ribbed with copper, Brown maribou tail with a little Root Beer Krystal Flash on a gold Jig head; maybe 1/50th oz. You could throw that on under a strike indicator and probably murder the trout, especially in fast water. 

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:53:42 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question