Author Topic: Fresh Bait  (Read 2977 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Fresh Bait
« on: December 26, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
Dropped the traps in a crick this afternoon then went for a quick shot at the river. Got one walleye about 20 inches released I figured it was probably one of my brothers pets. When I went back to get my traps 2 hours later I had just what I was after a nice batch of spot fin shiners. I love chubs but for ice fishing eyes and trout the spotfins are there equal. They are usually smaller than chubs, iridescent and very shiny, a flashy bait fish. I have some plans for them this week.
FM

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:59:14 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Fresh Bait
« on: December 26, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »

Offline The_Kid

• Ice Man
Re: Fresh Bait
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
Fm I have traps , and spots to put them but I can never keep them alive for more than a week , it can be a struggle , I have a bubbler and try to change the water with lake or snow water , not tap , but I always lose a few too many , do you have a fish tank setup ect ?
How am I suppose to be old and wise if I'm not young and crazy ?

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:45:16 PM »
FM, roughly how big are the spottails you caught? Around here we can trap the 3-4" ones, and the large ones of around 6" can be caught on tiny jigs. I have a hard time keeping them alive relative to pond shiners but they make good bait.

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
They are spotfins there are spottails too. They are very similar. My spot fins have a very faint mark on the dorsal fin. In the pic you don't even see it. I was schooled on this in the field by a biologist while doing a TV show a while back. The spot tail is much easier to see. I wanted to use a better pic but they were digitally blocked some how. Anyway, lol The biggest spottails I get are close to 5 inches but a good average size is 4" most are smaller than even that. I want the smaller ones for tipping jigs and livelining with a splitshot. I keep them in the garage cool with a aquarium pump and an airstone. The keep really well for me like that. If you look really closely at the spotfin on the right you can see one tiny dark spot on the dorsal. That's it. Not much to call a spot. in certain light conditions it is more pronounced but not by much.
FM

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:03:24 PM by fishin_musician »
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »

Offline The_Kid

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 09:53:05 PM »
Hmmm I'm going to have to give it a try
How am I suppose to be old and wise if I'm not young and crazy ?

Offline DeadBird

• Spring is a dirty word
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:50:08 AM »
Well that's interesting. Now that I look closely at the photo I know your spotfin is not a spottail. I don't know if we have spotfin shiners here. We have silversides in the tidal estuaries which are easily confused with spottails. Maybe they go by some other name around here so I don't recognize the name spotfin. So darn many baitfish look similar, you almost need DNA to identify them. I use more pond shiners than anything else, they look very similar to your spotfin photo.

Offline Its ice

• Its ice
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
Very interesting.......where are the best places to trap baits?  What do u use for bait? I've never trapped bait fish.  What kind traps do u use?  I have a run off crick in my yard.....huge crea fish. I want to start trapping my baits.....any info on how 2 I would appreciate it....thanx..
Watch the ice

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »
Very interesting.......where are the best places to trap baits?  What do u use for bait? I've never trapped bait fish.  What kind traps do u use?  I have a run off crick in my yard.....huge crea fish. I want to start trapping my baits.....any info on how 2 I would appreciate it....thanx..

Go and look thru the live bait threads already posted it has been covered a few times over on all my sites. Its dear to my heart and a tradition that won't last if not practiced and protected. Try this for starters.
FM

http://suskyfishers.com/trapping-live-bait/
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »

Offline Mark D

• Grandson on the ice!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 08:27:10 PM »
Very interesting article FM. Do you put rocks in the cage to weight it? I thought I seen rocks in the submerged trap. Mark

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »
Thank you! No rocks, the traps are galvanized steel and sink on their own. If you need rocks to hold them in current you are in too much current. I never did any good in big waters or heavy current.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Mark D

• Grandson on the ice!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »
Got it! Happy New Year. Mark

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question