Author Topic: Thinking about purchasing a new auger  (Read 2097 times)

Offline CraPPeetAStik14

• CraPPeetAstIK
Thinking about purchasing a new auger
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »
I have a jiffy Stx  pro 2 that's just a hog to haul around it has the chipper blades  that I was planning to keep just for the river   But I would like something a lot lighter and mor versital  for lake fishing  I'm kind of caught in between the nils power  and the  strike master  lazer  pro I was wondering if you guys could give a little insight on either of the 2 or maybe  propose something else  thanks in advance

Ice Fishing 247

Thinking about purchasing a new auger
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
Re: Thinking about purchasing a new auger
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 05:23:41 AM »
The Nils Master is probably the best gas engine combination out there.  Ever think of going electric?  There are some pretty good combinations of auger and cordless drills that work well.  Also IceGator has a new 9.5" auger with 42 V powerhead coming this fall.
ICE is "NICE"

Offline anglerbrian

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:13:41 PM »
The Nils uses the Tanaka powerhead. I think this is the best powerhead you can get for ice fishing. I have the Tanaka TIA-350PFS coupled with a ten inch Strikemaster Lazer Pro auger flighting. This combination is perfect for Saskatchewan ice conditions. Most winters the ice is pushing 40 inches or more and extensions are required by Feb or march.  A few people up here have complained about the Nils blades getting dull but that might be operator error. I do love the motor.
It's all fun n games until somebody loses a Walleye.

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
I've been running the Nils 8 inch this will be the 4th winter no problems. Very light, not meant for the river though. The only time I tried it I went through the main layer and hit a layer of flow ice pushed underneath it bent the blade bit and wouldn't cut anymore. The replacements are $100 I have 3 blade bits now. Two are sharp one is the bent one. There is a guy that can straighten them but I haven't gotten around to sending it out. If you want gas and want the best then its NILS.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 12:43:37 PM »
I'm surprised to hear about the blades getting dull , do you have grit in the ice , we don't get that much ice here , but I'm on 2 years on my blades and still sharp , and I fish 4-5 days a week from end of Dec into April , one thing nils don't need to have pressure applied , and the Tanka power head is very dependable and fast

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Not dull, the blade got bent. My other two are fine one is on the auger and one for a spare. We don't use expensive stuff on the river because it does get sand and debris in it.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 06:42:17 PM »
I have an Ion lithium. Cuts like a dream. Only 22 lbs. battery lasts all day. I am happy.

Offline IceSpartan

• Ice Man
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »
I have an Ion lithium. Cuts like a dream. Only 22 lbs. battery lasts all day. I am happy.
Ditto.  I’m very happy with mine, too.  And my shoulders are happy. :)

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »

Offline snowflake

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 11:23:50 PM »
Diddo here I've had my ion for four years. Best purchace I've ever made

Offline kenP

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 01:27:30 PM »
Bought my Ion in 2012 and still love it.  Needed a new battery in 2017.  Only complaint is that it does not have a reverse - maybe the new ones do.  Almost got it jammed in too thick of ice once up in Canada but fortunately it cut through just before hitting the motor - that is where I would have liked to have reverse.  I pictured myself out on this lake with nobody around and my $500 auger stuck in the ice  on my first hole of the day.

Love not having to deal with gas.  Always runs as long as the battery is charged and have never needed more than one battery's charge for a day.

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 12:59:11 AM »
add one more for team Ion.  punch all the holes i could dream up on PL today with 13" of ice.  original battery shows no sign of age (knock on wood).  i think the new ones do have reverse.

Offline IceSpartan

• Ice Man
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:57:08 AM »
add one more for team Ion.  punch all the holes i could dream up on PL today with 13" of ice.  original battery shows no sign of age (knock on wood).  i think the new ones do have reverse.
Yes, mine has reverse.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:57:08 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question