Author Topic: ATV / Snowmobile Safety  (Read 7051 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: ATV / Snowmobile Safety
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
Great info. I did know about the insurance and helmut regs. Looked up the tow bar reg last winter and already have a sled outfitted with one I got last winter from clam I think. Can't have your gear crashing into your rig when you slow down, or go down a hill. You could break something or hurt your unit.  !<>!
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 11:18:56 PM »
Well I ride a lot . Either on ice in the woods dirt bike ,quad ,snowmobile, side by side you name it I've rode it like I've stolen it . And plan on getting my own sled this season for the ice . But for fm my question is what kind of 4 wheeler did you get ? Brand ? What size engine (cc)? Also to clear out a spot for your shack just take the quad turn the Handel bars all the way to the left  lean a lot and let her rip to make perfect donuts haha .

I got a Polaris Sportsman 570, with some of the racks and bumper accessories plus a winch and plow. The thing will climb trees.
FM

Have an Ice Day!

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 06:01:38 AM »
That's a nice machine FM.   8)
ICE is "NICE"

Offline The_Kid

• Ice Man
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 10:49:52 AM »
Oh yeah it will ! Nice machine to do just about whatever you want . Polaris is a good brand too a few of my friends have them and like them no problems . And I know for a fact they do great donuts haha
How am I suppose to be old and wise if I'm not young and crazy ?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline georgebd2

• Ice Man
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 07:25:58 PM »
Angel wing anchors are nice also. Lightweight and packable!
aka blizzardfisher

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 02:49:07 PM »
When you are using chains do you put them on and leave them on or get them out for certain conditions?
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »
When you are using chains do you put them on and leave them on or get them out for certain conditions?
FM
When I used chains, they went on and stayed on till the end of the season.
ICE is "NICE"

Offline KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
When I used chains, they went on and stayed on till the end of the season.
I leave them on till the end of season. I use snowmobile mostly, but, the quad is ready when needed!
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »
You guys have power steering models. Mine is manual and kind of tight to steer how are they with the chains. I guess I have to see the chains they must be scaled down and not as heavy as car chains??
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 04:26:14 AM »
They are the same size, pretty much. as car chains, just cut down versions; mostly.  My first ATVs did not have power steering - no problem with that.  The chains, especially on ice, will give you a lot better directional control.
In fact, the first set of chains I had were made from two sets of car chains from a garage sale.  I cut the side chains to a length that would work, removed all the cross links from the other set and added them into the set I was using.  They were the v-bar style chains.  Lots of traction!
If you are going with chains, I'd be looking for the 2-link chain sets.  They have a cross link every two side links.  Way smoother ride and way more traction.
ICE is "NICE"

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 07:02:03 AM »
my VINSON is MANUAL STEERING but, my sons POLARIS is POWERE STEERING,What a difference .
I took his Polaris on some real windy trails in SUSCON 1 day,It was a pleasure to run his compared to mine,My fore arms and shoulders hurt with the Vinson on the same trail.I do HAVE RA,threw 90% of my body, but still the POWER STEERING Will be the way to go on my next QUAD. :)
As far as the chains.I bought a new 1995 HONDA 4 trax ,2 wheel drive,It went anywhere,i bought a plow for it,and had problems pushing the snow.
I bought a pair of chains for the rear wheels,back then I think they were $35.00.Problem solved.Im planning on using my 500 VINSON 4x4 on the ice this year,Gunna put Chains on the rear for sure.Not too sure about the front ...Any suggestions?
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »
my VINSON is MANUAL STEERING but, my sons POLARIS is POWERE STEERING,What a difference .
I took his Polaris on some real windy trails in SUSCON 1 day,It was a pleasure to run his compared to mine,My fore arms and shoulders hurt with the Vinson on the same trail.I do HAVE RA,threw 90% of my body, but still the POWER STEERING Will be the way to go on my next QUAD. :)
As far as the chains.I bought a new 1995 HONDA 4 trax ,2 wheel drive,It went anywhere,i bought a plow for it,and had problems pushing the snow.
I bought a pair of chains for the rear wheels,back then I think they were $35.00.Problem solved.Im planning on using my 500 VINSON 4x4 on the ice this year,Gunna put Chains on the rear for sure.Not too sure about the front ...Any suggestions?
My opinion on ther chains up front is - put 'em on.  Steering on slick ice will be a challenge without them.  If you get snow and slush, they will also help, a lot.
ICE is "NICE"

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

Offline Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »

I have an older cat TRV  4x and I'm chained all the way around , and it's not power steering , I use it mostly for plowing and on the ice it helps with streering  and getting through some bad stuff as Phil stated ,  they are the V type bar type , even with chains some conditions are not favorable for wheelers

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »
Tks,buddy.4 chains seems the way to go.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
I have an older cat TRV  4x and I'm chained all the way around , and it's not power steering , I use it mostly for plowing and on the ice it helps with streering  and getting through some bad stuff as Phil stated ,  they are the V type bar type , even with chains some conditions are not favorable for wheelers

I have been out when nothing but snowmobiles could move anywhere on the ice. Breaking trail on foot for 50 yards was asking for a heart attack. When its that bad I'll just have to stick to fish the shorelines been doing it all my life so not a prob.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question