Author Topic: eating snot rockets  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
eating snot rockets
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »
a couple years ago I was talking to a guy that said that pickerel were good to eat. I had often seen guys kill them and throw them off to the side and thought that it was a waste but I still never ate one. Tried once but the thing made so much slime that I couldn't finish the job! Well, I decided I was going to eat the next legal pickerel I catch and wouldn't you know it, I haven't caught a legal one since!

I was out fishin with my buddy and fishin partner Chez and caught a small one about 15", then he caught a bigger one, 18" and maybe a tad more. He offered and I accepted. I learned a few tricks since that first pick I tried to cut and I was able to clean it up with very little slime problems and even got most of the y-bones out and fried up the meat lightly breaded and fried in oil. My wife agrees, I need to target pickerel this year. That was good stuff. I liked it better than trout easily and put it right up there with perch.

What about you guys, who else eats snot rockets???
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

eating snot rockets
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: eating snot rockets
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »
I have cooked pike for fish cakes. Would like to try pickerel pickled. Did you learn how to butterfly filet them or just give in and pick the bones?
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Spider1

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »
Yeah, Chez says he has a great pickled pickerel recipe he's gonna show me ;)

I don't exactly butterfly fillet them. I lay them on the side and cut down right behind the head and to the spine and then follow the spine back to the tail. Then I flip the fillet over quick and slice off the skin. As soon as the skin is off, it stops sliming. I flip the fish and do the other side. Then I remove any left over rib bones.

I cut out the y-bones, it's sort of tricky but once you know how the bones go in the fish it isn't that hard. The thing is, you really don't need to get all of it. The bones get real thin, almost like hair and once you cook the fish you won't even notice the bones. I think one of these times I'll leave the y-bones in and see how bad they really are.

This is the fist one I've done so I'm still learning, but it was only 18" and I could get it done up easy enough. I bet it'll be easier on a bigger fish. Gonna try grinding them up for patties also and of course I'll be trying Chez's pickled pickerel recipe.

The thing that gets me is when I see people toss them aside. These are good eating fish!

Online FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »
I eat Pike and Pickeral all the time.  My favorite fish of all.  Learn to filet them y-bones out and the taste just goes up two-fold.  ;D  The bigger they are, the easier it is to filet them.  Lots of you-tube videos out there showing the technique.
ICE is "NICE"

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »

Offline Spider1

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:42:03 AM »
That's where I saw the technique I used. It was a little harder on this fish cuz it was  on the smaller size but I got the bones out for the most part. I also did some investigating on pickerel bones and found a couple pictures of the skeletons of pickerel. Once you see how the bones go in the fish, it's easier to get them out.

Offline Spider1

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 11:59:45 AM »
I found a picture that helps explain how to cut out the y bones. I hope it helps some.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline shiver318

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
I've eaten a few bigger pike before and they were really good, never tried a pickerel. Might have to give it a try this year!

Online chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:08:19 AM »
PICKEREL are real good.
I make a few jars almost everyyear PICKELED,,man they are good on the ice.
wine,oinons ,garlic,hotpepper seeds.
I didn't make any last year,for the reason I didn't catch 1, 18 or over.lol on the ice.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:08:19 AM »

Offline Spider1

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 07:35:27 AM »
I'm gonna target them this year for sure so I'll be learning that pickling recipe from ya brudda! I remember as a kid I did an experiment in school science. We put a chicken wishbone in a small bowl of vinegar. In a few days the bone got so soft from the acetic acid in the vinegar that I could tie the bone in a knot. I know that the tiny bones from the fish would not even be noticeable after being pickled.

Offline NYSporty

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »
I like them too One of the best lakes for them I've found is Deruyter lake Its non stop pickerel pulling.

Online chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
I'm gonna target them this year for sure so I'll be learning that pickling recipe from ya brudda! I remember as a kid I did an experiment in school science. We put a chicken wishbone in a small bowl of vinegar. In a few days the bone got so soft from the acetic acid in the vinegar that I could tie the bone in a knot. I know that the tiny bones from the fish would not even be noticeable after being pickled.

Your 100% correct buddy.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question