Author Topic: Crappies in the basin.  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Blaneross

• Ice Man
Crappies in the basin.
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »
We have been catching nice crappies on minnows near the center of small lakes. In the basin, not near any structure of weeds. Does anyone have good success in structure or weeds?

br

Ice Fishing 247

Crappies in the basin.
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »

Offline Blaneross

• Ice Man
Re: Crappies in the basin.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »
Next time i go out I am going to fish the edge of the basin where the water begins to get shallow. also adjacent to green weed beds.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 05:51:29 PM »
Depending upon how far into the ice season your lake is the crappies can be patrolling the shallower water and near drop offs during the daylight hours and moving toward the deeper water or basins at night.  They do like the oxygen rich green weed areas but those weeds will die off as the season progresses.

I fish a lake in Pennsylvania that has a basin much like yours and we can find the crappies roaming that basin foraging all night long, with no real cover or depth variation in the area.

It can't hurt to investigate the shallower water and weed lines but it sounds as if your crappies have already moved to the deeper water.  I stick with the productive spots until they no longer produce, the crappies will soon enough move again, they you can start the game all over again.

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »
I fish a moderately deep private lake in PA where the crappie seem like they are constantly roaming the main basin. Unfortunately the main basin makes up much of the lake, but on the plus side it is stained so brown they often bite well in broad daylight. Another lake in the same complex we always find them near sticks and brush. They are fairly easy to find but you lose a lot of jigs compared to fishing deeper relatively structureless basins.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »

Offline planner47

• Ice Man
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »
We have been catching nice crappies on minnows near the center of small lakes. In the basin, not near any structure of weeds. Does anyone have good success in structure or weeds?

blaneross   this a common feb. pattern. reason is that the deeper water is warmer. they usually suspend in the warmest water. if you have shad or emeralds they usually follow them. often I see them first and then the crappies. this is called the basin bite. so drill a lot of holes in the deepest part of the basin and try to follow them with the swinging transducer trick.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question