Author Topic: Really Big Bait  (Read 2488 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Really Big Bait
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:27:24 PM »
RutNut caught me some really nice golden shiners. I had five but threw on back it was too big for the pail, the size of a small buck shad. Thet leaves me with 4 8 to 10 inch shiners. I plan on taking them to the pack or the river real soon. I made up a couple new rigs copies of ones I have seen for sale here and there, I'm calling them Pike Enticers. Hope they do the job!
FM

Before anyone asks; two hooks in one bait near the head and tail.

Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Really Big Bait
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:27:24 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

Re: Really Big Bait
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:48:09 PM »
crappeetastic and I both made up some dual treble rigs for perches, would love to give them a try at the Pack

Offline zziipp

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:42 PM »
most of the ones ive seen in use have the secondary hook on a swivel closer to the primary hook instead of running two long lines. i seen a nice one that the secondary was on a slide and could be adjusted to length of bait also. that should do the trick though but it may make it easier for the bait to twist or hang up in cover or structure if a big un takes off.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:57:04 PM by zziipp »
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline Icemole

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 11:13:11 PM »
 Back when I had a steady supply of big shiners I used the other style - it had 2 double type hooks on, one of them was on a slide crimp(?) I hooked the stationary hook mid way between the back fin + tail then slid the other hook to just behind the gill area.  Caught lots of bass + pickerel + a few pike but never got the musky. The bass were generally nice 4lbs or better, pike in the 28-32" range and all sizes of pickerel big, small and in between(we stopped using them on pickerel lakes)

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 11:13:11 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:23:28 PM »
I have used them but w/o any luck. The thing I didn't like was the bait didn't hang quite right. i'm hoping this is more to my and the fishes liking.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline zziipp

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:35:14 PM »
you could run a main line down so many inches than attatch another swivel and then run the two lines of that. that would cut down on the profile and two long lines. ive never had your leaders come on done so i dont think an extra swivel would hurt.when i use to fish for pike heavily yrs ago i tried running two long leaders down and when that fish hit cover everything wrapped around them. although theres more cover in the warmer months than winter.but the bait should hang nice off of that.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:35:14 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question