Author Topic: Couple more trips in.  (Read 4421 times)

Offline CaptSpike

Couple more trips in.
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:18:15 PM »
OK I'm going to stop counting the trips because it puts a number I may or may not end up liking when it's all said and done. Fished New years with my buddy Mark. We fished the same pond I fished on trip #1. The place was packed when we arrived. Ramp was not safe. We warned a young man headed towards it to be careful it wasn't safe there. He steps on to the ice again I said be careful. Not two seconds later his left leg goes in up to mid thigh height. Lousy way to start a day. We figured he'd head back to his truck and try to dry off. Never saw him again. He went out on the ice and fished all day. Cudo's for him for toughing it out. Not sure I would have. I asked Mark to post a report here on how we did and he said he would so I'll let him give the details.
We also fished today at the spot we fished on trip #2. Today John and Matt joined us. Again I'll let Mark give the details. If he doesn't I'll fill in the report later tomorrow or Sunday. I'll say it wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. We got out and caught some fish. Good enough for now. Ready to move onto better things now (better spots).
Cold weather should bring us some local ice next week.

Spike
I catch fish........It's what I do.....
Experience.....There is no substitute.
So many fish.............so little time.

Ice Fishing 247

Couple more trips in.
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:18:15 PM »

Offline nhfishah

Re: Couple more trips in.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »
Trip Report #1
Got out for some Crappie fishing today with Capt. Spike, the ice was about 5 inches thick, but the edges were a bit iffy. Caught a few keepers as well as this nice one.

Offline nhfishah

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
Trip #2

Got out on Friday with Capt.Spike, John, and my son Matt. Headed a bit further north than we did on Thursday, the weather man said blue skies all day, not for us, it snowed the entire time we were there. The fishing was a bit slow but we were able to put a few nice perch on the ice for dinner. My son and Capt. Spike did most of the catching. Was nice to test out the new Otter XT1200 cabin, as well as the clam conversion plate with a new Milwaukee brushless hammer drill. The conversion worked pretty well, I was able to punch 25 holes through 8 inches of ice on one battery. Here are a few pictures:

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »
Nice looking catch, Those whites are meaty looking fish. How do you like the Otter?
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »

Offline Reaper

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »
What auger bit and battery are you running on that drill plate? I have a 8" Lazer and 4.0 batteries and I am getting considerably more holes then that.

Offline nhfishah

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:46:14 PM »
What auger bit and battery are you running on that drill plate? I have a 8" Lazer and 4.0 batteries and I am getting considerably more holes then that.

I'm running the same set up, I have the 4.0 batteries and a laser 8 inch auger. I could have drilled a few more hole, but not many. Does yours hang when it breaks through the ice? I just got the extension the other day.

Offline Reaper

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 06:45:27 AM »
No mine doesn't unless the blades are dull, or they are the Chinese ones. I only run the Swedish blades now. I can usually get 50+ in 12" of ice.

Offline nhfishah

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »
Blades are really sharp, there the ones that came with the auger. Are you running your drill on speed 1 or 2? I am running on 1 in the drill mode.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »

Offline Reaper

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »
I'm running mine on low, 1. If they came with the auger I'd buy a replacement set made in Sweden, the ones that came with mine were Chinese. They look the same but they are not the same.

Offline CaptSpike

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »
FM I think he overlooked your post. Lol. He loves the new shack. Hardly any heat and its toasty warm.

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »
Trip #2

Got out on Friday with Capt.Spike, John, and my son Matt. Headed a bit further north than we did on Thursday, the weather man said blue skies all day, not for us, it snowed the entire time we were there. The fishing was a bit slow but we were able to put a few nice perch on the ice for dinner. My son and Capt. Spike did most of the catching. Was nice to test out the new Otter XT1200 cabin, as well as the clam conversion plate with a new Milwaukee brushless hammer drill. The conversion worked pretty well, I was able to punch 25 holes through 8 inches of ice on one battery. Here are a few pictures:

HOW ARE THOSE WHITE PERCH FOR EATING?
MAN YOU GUYS GOT A NICE PILE OF THEM.
LOOKED LIKE YOU HAD A NICE OUTING.
THE SNOW MAKES IT EVEN BETTER IN MY EYES.
CONGRATS.ON THAT PILE OF FISH. !<>!
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline CaptSpike

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
They are great eating. Best freshwater fish as far as I'm concerned. We thought it was a slow day, lol. Took us a while to find the zone then only one of us had the hot lure. The rest of us contributed what we could, lol.

Spike

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question