Author Topic: Beads and Blades on Spinners  (Read 4278 times)

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
Beads and Blades on Spinners
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »
I use spoons once in a while, red devils and similar types with different colors, I tie them about a foot above a big bait it helps to keep bigger baits where you want them and adds a little flash when the bait is swimming around, im going to make up a few with the beads and some spinner blades for some flash, these days there are so many different lures for ice fishing from jigs to swim baits and so much more, and every year theres more new stuff, or gadgets on the market to get your money I think making your own stuff is so much more enjoyable than buying every little thing that catches your eye and its even better when it works my grandfather was a machinist and a tool and die maker and he would make all kinds of stuff for fishing I still have all of if but I dont use most of it just because it is something I cherish and dont want to risk losing it

Ice Fishing 247

Beads and Blades on Spinners
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
Re: Beads and Blades on Spinners
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:14:33 PM »
FM  where did you purchase the beads and hardware?
you can get beads at just about any craft store and wire also just look In the jewelry department you would be surprised at how much stuff they have that can be made into lures

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
thanks crew, I got tired of paying premium prices for the weighted silver beads, they are basically all I use on my tip up leaders for weight

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »
If you are using real big bait try using a spoon like a red devil or something similar, you get weight and some flash out of them and it keeps the big baits in the zone ;D

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
Crew I do have decent sized silver spoons I picked up last year.  I even got some umbrella rigs I was gonna experiment with but didn't  get around to it.  I was going to try to use baits at different depths on the same tip-up, I can see the tangled lines now  :o

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:22:40 PM »
Yep, you won't even have to catch a fish to get all tangled the baits will do it for you. lol Remember there are some laws regarding how many hooks you can have on a line. Rapalas etc are exceptions not the rule.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
I think we went through that discussion last year, anyone know what the legal limit is?

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »
I think it is 3 hooks per line, don't quote me.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »

Offline zziipp

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:58:41 AM »
i believe its 3 in pa. a treble counts as one.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »
googled ice walker and this is what I found 

oh well, we could all use one someday  ::)   

here's something Clam makes called the big tooth rig for rigging large suckers to keep them in a horizontal position  

couldn't find anything like you mentioned but I think I got the idea, just need some stiff wire material

a search for multi hook tip up rigs got me this      

besides the obvious line tangling issues, why wouldn't a multi minnow rig attract more fish?

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
Thats what the old man that was making them called them, it would be hard to describe it to you its nothing more than a board that is stuck under the ice that has an arm with a nail in it when you pull the string the nail catches the ice and moves it away from you then you can put your lines on it, May be do a YouTube search for commercial ice fishing I'll try and find it for you and send you the link

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
I saw one of those ice walkers in use onthe Discovery Ch, or History Ch. It was being set up in the Northwest Territories to pull a net between two holes in the ice. It was interesting to see how they had solved a seemingly impossible problem.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 05:43:19 PM »
Yep thats the device only a scaled down version, I was up sugarmans in the sporting goods dept when this old man confronted me about the best thing ever for ice fishing and he said he invented it 0~ all ha did was scale it down so it could be used for Icefishing, the guy just couldn't stop talking about the darn thing following me around the store finally I agreed to buy one I followed him out tohis car and got my first look at this great new Iinvention the day I tryed using it there was 14 inches of ice with 10 inches of snow on top I had to take my coat off and roll up my sleve stick it in the cold water to get the darn thing under the ice after a few trys I lost my patients with it and threw it as far as I could and never touched it again that old mans ears were probably ringing that day thats for sure

Offline Nemo

• 43" 21lb northern
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »
HD I have a spool of wire. not sure how many pounds it is but your welcome to it.

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »
Tig welding wire works well to, its great for making spinners

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question