Author Topic: Not my post, but interesting  (Read 2029 times)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Not my post, but interesting
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:23:28 PM »
I saw this on another site and thought you guys that fish for these itty bitty things might like to try it.
FM

A friend that I had fished with was always catching way more fish than I was..he would just laugh, and say experience experience..bull ...I have been fishing as long as he had..there had to be something else..and there was he was fishing with sowing thread..no kidding..now we fish mainly for gills and perch and specks or crappie. but the thread made a huge difference in the amount of fish I started catching.. the day he told me thread I went to a bunch of fabric stores untill I found what I was looking for clear mono sowing thread 4000 yrd spool for 3.95 wow what a deal..no more paying high prices for one or two pound test ever again. this stuff is so fine you can hardly see it - needless to say I have to wear reading glasses to thread my teardrops now, but who cares my fishing success has increased 10 fold. I have caught bass up to 5 lbs through the ice on this stuff and 24 in pike... it has alot of streach..of course you have to set the drag on your reel and play them out but the thread has made a big difference in my fishing success. next time out give it a try you'll be hooked like I was... see U on the Ice
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Not my post, but interesting
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:23:28 PM »

Offline Perch Inc.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!
Re: Not my post, but interesting
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 12:29:38 PM »
I'm looking for that thread tonite!!!! I thought about it years ago when I was using spider wire (which looks like thread) but can't use it any more with my Vex.
Pass "IT" on The Great NY Outdoors!!!

Offline tightline

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 05:29:48 PM »
I've used the thread trick for trout last year when the water was really low and they were line shy.  I hooked alot more fish but broke off a few more than usual

Offline Semper Fi

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 05:47:33 AM »
Anybody use this stuff in cold weather? Sounds alnost too good to be true.

SF

ps. What I'm wondering about is the line's stiffness when it gets cold.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:26:43 AM by Semper Fi »

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 05:47:33 AM »

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:27:44 AM »
Trout teeth are particularly sharp. I have had the same problem with certain types of flourocarbon lines.
A good solid hook-up followed by the line just being cut by the teeth. This shouldn't be to much trouble with pannies.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline walkerd

• Fisherman or at least pretend to be! Right Farmer?
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:49:11 PM »
Thats what I was wondering wouldnt sewing thread freeze up pretty fast? I may have to put some on a pole and give it a try, I guess you dont lose anything by tryen. Thanks for that tip.
Early to bed early to rise. Fish like hell and make up Lies!!

Offline Grinner

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »
the sewing thread is made of monofilament the same as regular fishing line only much thinner, I used to use it myself for open water trout on heavily fished streams. It takes a little getting used to fishing with it but once you get the hang of setting the drag and setting the hook you will be amazed at the amount of fish you take with it.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question