Author Topic: Walleye ice rod  (Read 1936 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Flags up! Bobbers down!
Walleye ice rod
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:28:38 PM »
Hey guys have a chance to go to Lake Erie this winter to fish for walleyes. The thing is I don't own a good walleye rod. I have plenty of good reels. I normally only fish for crappies and other fish that are caught while fishing for crappies. I use long rods of 48 to 52 inches for them in a light power. I want a pole that will handle big walleyes preferably at least 36 inches long. We will be jigging big spoons with several minnows attached. Any recommendations? As to brand and power. Thanks in advance.

Ice Fishing 247

Walleye ice rod
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:28:38 PM »

Online chez

• PBR Man
Re: Walleye ice rod
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »
If i were you i would PM,   FM.He fishes for lakers every year threw the ice ,i think it would be the same kind of rod he uses.If not he will have an idea whats best.GOOD LUCK on your trip.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
I cant see spending big bucks on a custom ice rod, you can make a good rod for What you want to do out of an old fishing rod just use the the smaller half and you can usually cut the rod at the end of the handle then use some masking tape in a few spots as a bushing so it fits the handle with no slop from side to side then epoxy it In, you can get good deals on rods at flea markets and yard sales, I found a few older fiberglass rods over the summer, you can sand the tip down to the action you want theres lots of free rod building tips at mud hole along with anything you would need to build a rod save some money and make one yourself nothing better than using something you made yourself, I think the rods that have the very sensitive tips are nothing more than a fiberglass rod blank sanded down at the tip to the action they want

Offline maverick97

• IF247: The home of Gillzilla
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
Check out the Jason Mitchell Elite Walleye rods. I have one and I love it. It's really sensitive. I haven't caught a big walleye on it yet, but I'm confident that it could handle it.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration."
Izaac Walton

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »
If your looking for something that is not too expensive that will get the job done take a look at HT's Bob Izumi series of ice rods. HT does not sell direct you may have to google them. They run about $20 here is a little info.

HT Bob Izumi's Signature Ice Rods, exquisitely tapered, high performance IM-7 Graphite Blanks. Genuine cork handles w/EVA twist down style force grips. Premium aluminum oxide guides. Matte black finish with metallic red accents, folding hook keeper.

You said you have lots of reels but you might want to take a look at our other Expedition Outdoors ice combo packages. I picked up a couple different outfits from Expedition last winter and caught walleyes and lakers on them no problem.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline UFCreel

• Flags up! Bobbers down!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
Well got a great deal on a couple of clam split handle rods. Got a 30" med action and a 36" Med-heavy. Both will have Shimano Sahara 1500 reels on them that I currently own.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question