Author Topic: Slow start  (Read 1827 times)

Offline CaptSpike

Slow start
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »
Slow start all around. I slept in an extra hr since no one was fishing with me today. I got to the lake around 6:30 and unloaded my wheeler. My nephew showed up with his buddy  and we headed out on the lake. I left the shack as it was nice out and didn't need shelter. When we got to our spot there were a ton of holes drilled around. Looked like they were from Friday as they had frozen over more than just one nights worth. Fish showed but they looked small and were negative. I punched holes down the lake looking for larger active fish but found them few and far between. At that point I decided a move to the opposite end was in order. I punched a bunch of holes looking for the drop and I was right on it. Problem was the fish were not..... My nephew went to pop some holes heading deeper but flooded his auger and decided tooling around on the ATV with his buddy was a better option. So I popped in the holes and found fish in my last hole. Some jumbo whites from 34' of water. They wanted the jig moving away fast today. I kept switching up jigs as each jig would work for a bit then the fish would just look and decline the take. Switching helped a bit but didn't turn them on to any specific jig. My nephew returned after burring his wheeler in snow and decided to head out. I worked that hole for another hr before I couldn't get any fish to take. I worked for the ones I did get but at least I was seeing fish and I was able to fool some of them. Anyway once that hole died I decided to try a spot I found this fall that "looked" good. I approximated my position and drilled in. 41' of water, not where I thought I would be. However I saw a slight blip of a suspended fish so I dropped. It was a crappie that didn't hesitate eating. The school moved under me and I continued to C&R fish till they declined the jig I was using. Fish still showed but wouldn't hit. I switched up to a lure I tied on because my buddy Mark always does well with it but I myself had never wet it, until today. First drop called back the school and it was game on. Crappie after Crappie as soon as I got down to them. They were a mixed bag size wise but I did pull the mornings bigger crappie from this hole, a few nice slabs. A while later the screen went blank and nothing came in. My stomach was rolling letting me know it was time to eat. I headed home salvaging what could have been a very disappointing morning. Looking back on it I was thinking how my nephew must have felt. We have been spoiled by our successful days and when the fishing is tough he throws in the towel early. I realize in my years of experience fishing that patience is the most important trait a fisherman can have. Don't get me wrong there are days I waited it out and it didn't get any better (like yesterday's laker trip). But where else would you rather be than fishing?

Spike
I catch fish........It's what I do.....
Experience.....There is no substitute.
So many fish.............so little time.

Ice Fishing 247

Slow start
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:26:30 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

Re: Slow start
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »
Those crappies can be fickle, but when you figure them out it's a blast  !<>!   Were they black crappies?  Where's the photos ?

Offline CaptSpike

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »
Yeah they were Black Crappie. I didn't keep any fish so no photo's. When releasing fish I try to get them back in as soon as possible.

Spike
I catch fish........It's what I do.....
Experience.....There is no substitute.
So many fish.............so little time.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question