Author Topic: Why I love gills  (Read 13290 times)

Offline 9squirrel

• Ice Man
Re: Why I love gills
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 11:47:45 PM »
Because I grue up on panfish.
The only way for me is seasoned breadcrumbs and deep fried with fresh cut fries.
People that eat the slimmies don't know what their missing!!!
love them gills

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 11:47:45 PM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 07:06:09 AM »
I say THE HELL WITH THE SLIMIES.LOL.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
On a day when there was no bite, I was still able to take home my two meals worth. Had to wait them out, but still..I love them gills! Egg washed, 50/50 mix of Panko style and Italian bread crumbs, pan fried in peanut oil, and served with home made tartar sauce. Thanks for the push chez; I may never buy tartar sauce again. ;)

Offline Nemo

• 43" 21lb northern
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 01:26:19 AM »
Last saturday we fished a private lake from 2 till dark and absolutely hammered the gills(8-9inchers). non stop action! We kept 30 fish between 3 guys(which was plenty enough), and let go twice as many. Today I fish another private lake with a buddy and we destroyed them again for about two hours before dark we stayed till about 11:30pm but they slowed right down we did get 3 crappies but the night bite was way off, marked fish but they wouldn't bite. I think we ended up keeping close to 20 fish. I didn't need to keep any fish cause my freezer is maxed out on fillets. ;D The late ice bite is definitely kicking in.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 01:26:19 AM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
On a day when there was no bite, I was still able to take home my two meals worth. Had to wait them out, but still..I love them gills! Egg washed, 50/50 mix of Panko style and Italian bread crumbs, pan fried in peanut oil, and served with home made tartar sauce. Thanks for the push chez; I may never buy tartar sauce again. ;)

That looks like a GLOW CHUB FOREGE MINNOW in that GILLS MOUTH,ONE OF MY FAVORITES.

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »
You got it chez; good eye! I put a chain dropper on them and have caught many perch,gills and crappie on that set up.

Offline 9squirrel

• Ice Man
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 11:24:58 PM »
Hey Nemo, can I put an order in for 10- 8or9" gills my honey hole closed for the slimmies.
love them gills

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »
On a day when I don't want to drive hundreds of miles I am able to go to my local lake and put together a nice catch. Ended up throwing back fish that were bigger than any I kept and that makes me feel good. ;)
8-9'' gills= tasty eating!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2015, 06:48:40 AM »
Nice.

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
Appearing for dinner tonight: Breaded blue gill fillets with home made tartar sauce and fries. A little white wine on the side and mmmm good!  ;)BTW the fillets weren't burnt but the last few that came out got some blackened crumbs on them.

Offline maverick97

• IF247: The home of Gillzilla
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »
I'm hoping to get on some big gills this weekend. I caught a really nice one earlier in the season and forgot my tape measure. LOL.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration."
Izaac Walton

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
I have a yard stick screwed on the box that stays on my sled. It's cut down to about 28" or so but fine for gills. Haven't got any monsters yet but my best fish that day went 9.25 and was fat. Luckily for him (and me) I jigged him up last so he went back. ;D  I'm also hoping to get back North to my favorite gill lake soon. Good fishing !

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
And another reason, oops a calico sneaked in there; oh well. ;)

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2016, 08:34:10 AM »
Maybe because the first fish I caught was a blue gill. I was four and my grandmother used to take us to a local farm pond. Tackle of choice was a bamboo pole and a bobber. Anyone else remember the fifties?

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2016, 09:26:06 AM »
Heck yeah I remember, some of them anyway. Back when winters were winters and snowflakes were precipitation not emotionally crippled teens and collegians. I have a pic of one of my first fishing outings off our wooden dock on the flow pond at Carey. One of my uncles was assisting me and I nearly knocked him off the dock with my Hooksett move. Gills and perch lurked under the dock. My first pickerel launched itself right out of the water at a worm dangling over the water. It couldn't wait until I got it in the water. Now my favorite time to fish for gills is just before dark thru the ice.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2016, 09:26:06 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question