Author Topic: Ice Fishing Deep lakes  (Read 4693 times)

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Ice Fishing Deep lakes
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »
I'm defining Deep lakes for this discussion as lakes where the depth exceeds 30 FOW, with far greater depths the norm. We don't have a lot of lakes that qualify in NEPA. The Pack and Harveys, Winola, Upper Woods and Duck Harbor are a few others. Anyway, I will be using this thread to suggest some tactics for getting a grip on the deeper waters that we encounter. Feel free to add your two cents or ask questions. I like a deeper lake and have had some good times and some thin times on deep lakes.. One thing, probably the biggest thing that I want when I'm going to fish a deeper lake is a contour map.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

Ice Fishing Deep lakes
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »

Online CraPPeetAStik14

• CraPPeetAstIK
Re: Ice Fishing Deep lakes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
Can add few to your list.  one easy thing that we all know of deeper lakes if you catch a  perch might as well keep it because the air bladder is going to implode.

Offline crappiman

• God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:33 PM »
I'm defining Deep lakes for this discussion as lakes where the depth exceeds 30 FOW, with far greater depths the norm. We don't have a lot of lakes that qualify in NEPA. The Pack and Harveys, Winola, Upper Woods and Duck Harbor are a few others. Anyway, I will be using this thread to suggest some tactics for getting a grip on the deeper waters that we encounter. Feel free to add your two cents or ask questions. I like a deeper lake and have had some good times and some thin times on deep lakes.. One thing, probably the biggest thing that I want when I'm going to fish a deeper lake is a contour map.
FM
Thinking about hitting a deep lake this weekend, Where can I get some contour maps, does the fish commission sell them, are there any apps for my android phone I cant afford, or should I say the other half will kill me if I buy another fishing product!! oI
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Online CraPPeetAStik14

• CraPPeetAstIK
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:52:04 PM »
Navionics has maps for the pack Harvey's and prompton and other lakes in ny and lakes outside of the icebelt for 10 bucks

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:52:04 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 02:23:38 AM »
Here's a source of maps from the former Pecks Pond store 

thefloattubestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26

Bear in mind they charge $5.50 handling charge, so they are not real cheap, also check to make sure
he is still in business.  570-775-7237
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:27:02 AM by fishin_musician »

Offline crappiman

• God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:44:32 AM »
Here's a source of maps from the former Pecks Pond store 

thefloattubestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26

Bear in mind they charge $5.50 handling charge, so they are not real cheap, also check to make sure
he is still in business.  570-775-7237
Thanks, I checked out the float tube store there shipping charges cost more than the maps.
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
one easy thing that we all know of deeper lakes if you catch a  perch might as well keep it because the air bladder is going to implode.

not always. They do, but I tend to real them up slowly from deep water. It helps keep them from popping. It's when you real them up fast that they pop. If you know it's a small perch, you can stop at a few intervals for a couple seconds. Just to keep them from popping.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:39:45 AM »
Out on Harveys on Friday I used my iPhone Navionics app with the gps enabled to walk out to the edge of the 70' mark. Later I my tracks back to the spot with my flasher and auger to see if the app had been accurate. Cut the hole and marked 70 fow. A paper map is good for looking at and planning where you might want to fish on your next visit to a lake but once you are there finding the spot can be tedious requiring a lot of false starts and drilling.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:39:45 AM »

Offline chez

• Charter Member
  • PBR Man
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Fairveiw lake is a deep lake.Its by the pac.nice lake.trout,big perch and gills,nice bass too.
FEW.Dam is deep.I got into perch in 80' of water.All their air bladders were hanging out of their mouths.Great place to icefish.
I myself love deeper lakes.Duck Harbor is sn other favorite of mine.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline allejo

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »
How heavy of a jig do you use for deep lakes? Is tungsten a must?
Fish are like beer. I start to lose count after 10.

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
How heavy of a jig do you use for deep lakes? Is tungsten a must?

Start with what you are targeting and work from there.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question