Author Topic: locating LMB  (Read 1929 times)

Offline gee-dub

locating LMB
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
i fish one fairly standard, small NEPA lake that has your usual collection of panfish, perch, pickerel and (some nice) bass on soft water.  it is mostly 4-6 feet deep with a shallow section and a pocket that dips to ~10 feet.  i have pulled most everything else out, but have struggled to find the bass.  i've tried the dropoffs, timber, weeds, etc with no luck.  can't say i've worked the skinny side much.  i work with tip ups and one jigging station, but all i seem to find are perch on the electronics.  any advice for locating LMB under such conditions?  particular baits or lures i should be trying?

thanks,
-garrett

Ice Fishing 247

locating LMB
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
Re: locating LMB
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »
I fish a lake a lot like the one you described, not the same one for sure. It is a bass enhancement lake and has some nice fish. First ice I will get them in water so shallow that I barely have to use a leader the line only has to hang off the tip up spool a foot or so and it is in the sweet spot, about halfway in the water column. So this water is only 3 or 4 feet deep less in spots. Key points imo are great live bait. tiny treble hooks, tiny bb shot if any at all, invisible line. Set the tip up and go away. When there is snow and bare ice I drill my holes in the shaded snowy spots. As the season progresses the bass and other fish for that matter will drift toward to deeper water. The bass won't be as aggressive as they were first ice. Just for contrast, another lake I fish has a under rated smallie population. I fish an area with some sunken ledges 20 to 40 fow. I have hooked some dandy smallies with the same rigs just longer leaders and staggered shots. Again great live baits, tiny trebles and invisible line set up about halfway down from the bottom.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 12:08:53 AM »
very nice tips, thanks FM.  i read about the tactic of fishing shallows in the bluegill/panfish section, so i was think about giving that a shot anyway.  part of the reason i haven't thus far is that it's about half the lake with not much structure to guide one to likely spots.  but i have some ideas, i'll give it a shot when things lock up over my way.

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
Chances the half you are talking about is the inlet end. if there is a creek the feeds into it there is most likely some small channel even a silted in one will still have a bit of a depression dug in where high water has washed away the silt for a ways. The shaoolw lake I fish has just a big 3 foot deep flat on the inlet end an old stump field. There is a substantial area the has no stumps sticking out, it is featureless except that it is open w/o weed or pads. The bass seem to roam the area and I do good there.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question