Author Topic: Vex or marcum?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline tightline

Vex or marcum?
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:09:38 PM »
I was looking into buying either the vex fl8 or the marcum lx-5 could anyone give me some advice on which would be better?  I have never used a flasher before but have heard they are great any feedback would be appreciated, and thanks to everyone who responds.

Ice Fishing 247

Vex or marcum?
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:09:38 PM »

Offline nightfisher

Re: Vex or marcum?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:19:14 PM »
Which ever you choose, a flasher is a really cool tool for ice fishing. Any brand name will do, it comes down to your budget and personal preference. I have a vex and love it. I both jig and tip-up fish, when exploreing new water or jigging or even dead-sticking with a rod it's really cool to see the presence and reaction of the fish under you. Its great for mapping out new water to get a feel of depth and structure, and with the better units you can see your bait while jigging and determine the mood of the fish. plus on slow days seeing fish movement can keep you on the ice longer, increasing the chances of hooking up.

Offline miller

• 247 Pro Staff
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 07:48:22 PM »
I agree 100% with NF.  One of the best investments I've made for fishing.  I have the Vex FL-8SE.  Never used a Marcum but they are probably quite similar.  It might be worthwhile to take a ride to Cabela's or a place that carries both and compare them side by side and see which one you like best.  You wont go wrong with either.

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 09:38:17 PM »
I love them too. I have an older, outta business, Zercon Flasher it is kinda primative compared to the newer Vex'es and Marcum but I consider it an important tool. I do a little jiggin' but mostly tipups, the flasher helps me find sunken features, drop offs, submerged islands and fish. Nothing better that cuttin a hole and finding a bunch of fish waiting.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 09:38:17 PM »

Offline Semper Fi

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 07:32:59 AM »
Man, that's like asking wether to buy a Chevy or a Ford. They both will get you there and back, but guys will argue one way or the other based on their loyalty. I think I've seen more posts over the years on this subject than any other....... and still no clear winner. The most important thing is to get one.... you'll never be sorry (or leave it at home)! I have a Vex FL-18 and an Eagle with a LCD, the flasher is the one I carry.

JMHO,
SF
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 07:35:00 AM by Semper Fi »

Skammer

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 08:16:13 AM »
Got a Vex FL-18 about two years & wouldn't consider going out on the ice without it. The Mayor also has a lot of success with his when he is fishin soft water from a boat.
Never used a Marcum or ever seen one out on the ice so I can't make a comparison.

Offline JAZII

• NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDIN?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 12:32:53 AM »
Marcum!
I have an original Zercom ice classic and a Marcum LX 3 Tc.
I use the Zercom the most, but bought the Marcum for a back-up. Zercom is no longer made.

The reason I say Marcum, is due to the zoom being able to set it anywhere in the water column.
JAZII

Offline lottie

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »
JazII  has a point so I have the  VexFL18 full column on 1 side and bottom 10' on the other tripled my fish take use it winter and summer.
Jig or Tipup  the hardest decision of the day!   Life is good!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »

Offline nightfisher

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »
 FL18 for me, I fish for walleye alot, Have the Vex tied to a MinnKota power drive on the front of my boat. Lowrance lms350a on the dash does just fine for zooming anywhere in the column. Most of my fishing is within 5 ft of the bottom so it works just fine. Dont fish much for suspended fish unless I'm trollin Ontario, the Lowrance works good for that.

Offline toadhunter

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 02:30:34 AM »
They both work!

Offline deermeat

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »
I JUST WENT OUT & BOUGHT A VEXILAR FL-20 ICE PRO PAC TODAY. I HAVE A ZERCOM COLOR POINT FOR YEARS. I JUST HAD THE URGE TO UP GRADE. I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT. MAYBE THURSDAY. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS.
ICE RANGER

Skammer

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 07:35:52 AM »
I JUST WENT OUT & BOUGHT A VEXILAR FL-20 ICE PRO PAC TODAY. I HAVE A ZERCOM COLOR POINT FOR YEARS. I JUST HAD THE URGE TO UP GRADE. I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT. MAYBE THURSDAY. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

I was down at Cabela's yesterday lookin at the FL 20's. I think you made a great choice, I almost walked out of the store with one but my FL-18 is only about two years old. They had the FL-20 hooked up to power & the new screen is impressive!...............I may sell the FL-18! :-\

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 07:35:52 AM »

Offline toadhunter

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »
I own both flavors, the marcum does have better seperation and it is also quieter than the vex. Both are worth their weight in gold.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question