Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Best Flasher  (Read 5588 times)

Offline MARTINREEF

• Charter Member
Best Flasher
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:39:28 PM »
Which model will give you the best bang for your buck.I am a beginner,never used one.I do not want to learn a lot of electronic skillz,so what is easy to use and will keep me happy without buying something better next year.So price,ease of use,and enough bells and whisles for a few years.What do you recommend?

Ice Fishing 247

Best Flasher
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:39:28 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
Re: Best Flasher
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:53:07 PM »
There not complicated so there is no electronics learning curve. I would recommend our site sponsor Marcum and a LX-5i. There are a couple less expensive models too. Check them out at the link.
FM

http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/?id=10
Have an Ice Day!

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
This is a touchy situation.
I never disagree with fm,but.i like the Vexilars over the marcums.
We have both.i got a fl18,my son has a fl8 and my youngest son ha a marcum.I still feel the vex is a better,stronger unit.just my opinon.dont want to get anyone madd.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline fishon

• Fish'n Machine
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
A 1st time flasher user should really look at picking up a used flasher for about 1/2 the price of a new one. Or a newer/used at a discounted price.

ANY FLASHER IS BETTER THAN NO FLASHER, period amen!

Once you start using a flasher, you'll never want to jib with out one.   !<>!

You won't go wrong with any of the flashers out there unless you pay too much for one and never use it.
Fish On!
Have you hugged a fish today?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:04:03 AM »
FISHON your 100% correct.,,ANY FLASHER IS BETTER THAN NO FLASHER.And once you use it you wont leave home without it. ;)
I might be partial to VEXILAR because it was my first FLASHER,My oldest son had a HUMMINGBIRD,and had nothing but issues with it.Sent bit back to the company twice.Ended up selling it and getting him a VEX,He luvs it no issues.
Sometime you can get REFURBISHED FLASHERS at a great savings.

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
I'm in the same boat(so to speak) this year Martin! Looking for a good flasher. Don't mind getting a used or refurbished as long as it is a good one. Thanks for the info guys.

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »

I don't like to get into these debates , I will say , fact  is having one will help increase your catch , I have two graphs with flashers built in and a flasher just
For as a beginner model and this sites sponsor is marcum look at the VX1 , , great little unit , just remember they are only a fish spotter not a catcher

Online FISHFORPIKE

• Ice-Fishing Time
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
I don't like to get into these debates ,  just remember they are only a fish spotter not a catcher

8)  Are you sure about the "catching" part?  I heard Marcum was coming out with a new model next year that will do that for ya too.   :P
I've never owned a VEX, but I will say MARCUM gets the job done well.  I suspect that Vexilar would as well.

Like Filet says, look at the low-end models for now.  After you get hooked on it, you will go for a more advanced unit and keep the original for a backup.  Cause you will not want to be without one.  That's for sure.  I've driven more than 10 miles to an access spot to find out my flasher was at home, turned around and went after it.  Just can't imagine fishing without it.  Maybe for a hot Crappie bite in 6 or 8 FOW.   :)
ICE is "NICE"

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »

Online KingPerch

• Charter Member
  • Open water is nice... but, I'd rather be on ice!!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
The guys said all the details I would've mentioned. We have 4 units in our arsenal...graphs and flashers. Lowrance, Humminbird and Vex. No issues with any of them. I have friends who have marcum's and love them. I went to a graph, the 'ol hyptn-o-wheel got rough on my aging eyes and brain staring at it all day! 😨 Lol! Good luck with your decision Martin!😎
DO WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU DO....LIFE IS GOOD!

DON'T WORRY FREDDIE....THE BITE WILL GET HOT AT 11:00!!

Offline The_Kid

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
My vote is the Marcum vx-1 pro . It does all I need good quality nice case  ,has zoom features ,best bang for your buck for a Base model flasher .
How am I suppose to be old and wise if I'm not young and crazy ?

Offline MARTINREEF

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
Went for the Marcum lx-5i.Did not get from the sponsor though,Amazon gives me 6 months no interest.Sorry!

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 09:26:35 PM »
Went for the Marcum lx-5i.Did not get from the sponsor though,Amazon gives me 6 months no interest.Sorry!

Nothing to be sorry about you bought a Marcum and they don't care where you buy it. lol I giving some thought to upgrading to one of the digital models the LX-6 or 7 Just starting to look at them though it will take me a few weeks to do anything I'm swamped.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 09:26:35 PM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 07:10:07 AM »
I don't like to get into these debates , I will say , fact  is having one will help increase your catch , I have two graphs with flashers built in and a flasher just
For as a beginner model and this sites sponsor is marcum look at the VX1 , , great little unit , just remember they are only a fish spotter not a catcher

NEXT ONE I BUY,will be a graph ,flasher,i think they are neet.not this year gunna try to get a new 4 stroke augar.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »
I also have an original VX-1  paid only around $200 for it.   Aren't the Marcum units more powerful than Vex ?  I read awhile back that the Marcum flashers are 1000 watts and the Vex are closer to 600w.  No biggie unless you're fishing really deep.  My Marcum will read through the ice though.

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 09:52:03 PM »
I think your right about the power. The first Marcum that came up to lake George with us back in the day was so hot that vex guys couldn't fish near it.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 09:52:03 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question