Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Underwater camera system mod  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Primes10

• Primes
Underwater camera system mod
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:49 PM »
good day all, so I had an old Aqua-vu smart-vu which the picture tube blew on the small 4" screen. Instead of tossing the unit in the garbage, I decided to Red Green it! I totally disassembled the unit keeping only the camera, wiring harness, buttons and dials. I purchased a 7" LCD video monitor at my local electronics store. I had an old black and decker carrying case for a power drill lying around so I did some modifications to it and made myself a new underwater viewing system in its own carrying case. Now, since I have the nice 7" LCD screen, I was wondering if anyone would know if I could buy a replacement color camera? (It's a 4 pin). Also I noticed while fishing there's a halo like shadow on the top of the screen while the camera is below the ice, but when the camera is out of the water, in the tub or in the ice hole not quite under the ice, the picture although black and white is very clear and the halo is no longer visible! Does anyone know what could be causing this? ( if I knew how to attach pics to this post, I would of my underwater camera mod so whoever wanted to could take a look!!!). Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for the help, cheers.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:07:32 PM by Primes10 »
Keep your stick on the ice and your line in the water!!!

Ice Fishing 247

Underwater camera system mod
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:49 PM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
Re: Underwater camera system mod
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:36:35 PM »
Props for the Red Green engineering!  !<>! There is info on posting photos in the FAQ's board. Basically get a third party host (photobucket or Imagur) and link them up to here.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Offline Primes10

• Primes
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:18:18 AM »
So here's the mod of my broken Aqua-vu.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:40:58 AM »
Nice modification, there are tons of underwater cameras available online, just google a little and you should find them, where did you get the LCD monitor?

Just a wild guess but could the shadow be some sort of reflection, does your camera drift 100% level ?

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:40:58 AM »

Offline redblur00

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:57:02 AM »
Nice mod. I still got the same one as u but my lil tube TV mmonster is still kick in I never use it anymore tho collects dust. I always wonderedif a fish would try to eat the camera

Offline Primes10

• Primes
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:41:45 AM »
There's a local electronics store here in Rockland where I live called SonXplus, I only paid $50.00 for it, great deal! I'm going to try to weigh the rear end of the camera down see if that solves the halo effect problem. Thanks Henry.

Offline Primes10

• Primes
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:23 PM »
Ok so Henry your a genius, I put some weight on the tail of the cam and wouldn't ya know it, no more halo. Thank you fella! And red, yes just this morning a pike came a took a taste test of my camera lol. So your theory was correct lol. Cheers.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »
I'm glad you got rid of the halo, really what else could it be, unless your camera housing was filling up with water in which case you would easily figure that out or it wouldn't even work.

I should've been more specific regarding the replacement color camera.  I had a few sites saved in bookmarks on my other laptop but it's down and needs a new fan.  These are not the whole system or marcum or vexilar replacements, CC TV cams, mostly chinese made, cheap water proof color closed circuit cameras.  You would just need the proper connection or re-wire it.

Are you sure your camera is not a color cam ?  I bought a cheap Cabela's cam a few years ago, with the 5-inch tube tv which was black and white.  I recorded some underwater stuff and played it back on my laptop and it was in color.  I'd like to get an LCD color monitor but the pin arrangement on the cam is unique.  Mine still works though, I hope to get use out of it in the next couple of weeks.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »

Offline ice attic

• Ice Man
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »
Boy, I hated mine. I was in a lake with stained water in 15 foot and could only see 2 foot. Open water it's great.

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
Mine is a dust collector to I found it to distracting and always playing around with it, I had a big pickeral or muskie check out my camera one day thought it was going to take it but it darted away but thats some good red neck engineering there gread job

Offline Primes10

• Primes
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »
Thanks, I won't fish without my cam and flasher, great tools for the task at hand.

Offline redblur00

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 08:50:12 AM »
Mine is a dust collector to I found it to distracting and always playing around with it, I had a big pickeral or muskie check out my camera one day thought it was going to take it but it darted away but thats some good red neck engineering there gread job
.   Redneck engineering is the best

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 08:50:12 AM »

Offline ElectronICE

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
Thanks, I won't fish without my cam and flasher, great tools for the task at hand.

If ever you or your friends are looking for a camera for the coming season, we've got a few Wi-Fi based camera systems, as well as cameras with monitors here. Some have auto panning, some not.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:58:53 PM by ElectronICE »
Proud Sponsor of Ice Fishing 247

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »

Cleaver guy , I to have a camera but only use it to pinpoint spots and Mark to my GPS

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question