Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Aqua-Vu Micro AV II  (Read 3350 times)

Offline gee-dub

Aqua-Vu Micro AV II
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:44:58 PM »
The wife gifted me an AV II for my birthday this year (who knew she supports my hobbies??) and there doesn't seem to be a thread on it here.  Any tips or tricks?  I took it out just once on soft water, seemed like it will be useful to find fish and structure on the ice, but probably not to replace my sonar.  glare seems like it will be the biggest issue, since i don't fish in a shelter.  i think i'll construct some sort of sun cover for it.

Ice Fishing 247

Aqua-Vu Micro AV II
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:44:58 PM »

Online crappiman

• God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
Re: Aqua-Vu Micro AV II
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »
Just sold my Marcum VS 380 camera. It had a sun shield and worked well in the shelter. I Found it to be extra weight , more like something to do when the fishing was slow.
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:24:28 AM »
Congrats on havin such a supportive Mrs!!!  !<>!  Sounds like a keeper ;)

I think if the water is clear enough, they would come in handy for a few reasons, you can see what the fish are doing and sometimes why. I saw one film of a guy icefishing panfish in a regularly productive area but couldn't get a hit. He sent the camera down and noticed off to one side a sizable toothy was waiting in ambush. He changed tactics and caught the toothy. A short time later he was into panfish again. Plus it's lots of fun if the water clarity is right. Keeps kids interested longer too because they are much more into visual things and have less attention spans than us oldies, but the down side is if the water is stained or cloudy or just plain mudy, the camera will be just extra weight. That's when flashers and finders are a necessity. But I'll tell ya what, if momma got me an aqua-vu for Christmas I would find room in the sled  !<>!
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Offline BIGCREW

• Ice Man
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
The wife gifted me an AV II for my birthday this year (who knew she supports my hobbies??) and there doesn't seem to be a thread on it here.  Any tips or tricks?  I took it out just once on soft water, seemed like it will be useful to find fish and structure on the ice, but probably not to replace my sonar.  glare seems like it will be the biggest issue, since i don't fish in a shelter.  i think i'll construct some sort of sun cover for it.
get a box that the monitor will fit in and  cut a 1/4" x  1" slot to look through, on mine it has sides that are about 6" or so I just cut a piece of cardboard to fit with a slot I never needed it in the shelter though just on real sunny days outside of the shelter but like I said before we dont use it but like spider said Its good for kids to keep them occupied im hoping to vet my grandaughter out this winter if I can talk my wife into it she thinks she will get cold to fast theres no way not I my shelter we dont wear our coats in there its so warm

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »
hehe yep, good points all.  i have a little girl that likes ice fishing but i hope the cam will help keep her out longer.  i think my main interest is using the cam to find structure under water, and to determine bottom type.  in short, to allow me to read my sonar better.  i like the idea of the box, i will try that for sure.

Offline Ranger22

• IF247 Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
I have a sun shield that I made for my Aqua view, if I can find it and it fits you can have it.
If you don't want to know what a 67 year old
man fom the backwoods of louisiana thinks you
probably shouldn't ask him!

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
i'd of course take it and give you something you need in return!

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »
i spent some time with the AV II on lower promised land saturday and here are my first impressions:

executive summary - this is a great little unit that, with the help of a device to help precisely rotate the camera, can be a great addition to your arsenal if you can spare the cash and space for one.

long version - i don't know LPL very well, so i consulted with JT2C and picked some mostly random spots to punch holes.  after i got some tip ups out (and found my sonar to be dead grrr) i pulled the AV II out, having no idea what was below my hole.  as the cam lowered down, i noticed it was sort of a pain to unwind (and later wind) 8 feet of cable off the square-ish holder.  some kind of crank winding device on a moving spool would have been nice.  i could see the screen fine in the early morning/overcast sky and didn't have a problem later in the day either (a little glare though, some kind of container would help).  in the middle of the water column, the screen showed bright yellow in the top third and blue-green on the lower two thirds.  this was a bit confusing to me, i wasn't sure it was working right, even to the point that i pulled it up to make sure the cam was lowering down correctly.  back down it went and the screen stayed the same until i got close to the bottom.

at the bottom, i was somewhat shocked to see a small pile of timber appear on the screen plain as day.  i could see a small branch right below the cam extending out a bit and then a bigger collection of limbs a short distance away.  there were no weeds to speak of, and the bottom looked like dull gray/brown muck.  i was surprised to see no fish suspended near this structure.  spinning the camera wire in my fingers, i could see no further interesting structure around me, just scattered rocks in the muck.  it is hard to say how far i could see for, but it seemed like a very reasonable distance.  after scanning a bit more, i pulled the cam out.  in not my brightest moment, i started jigging the hole and promptly hung up on the very timber i saw on the cam.  DUH.

a bit later i moved holes, this time drilling two side-by-side holes to see if i could watch my jig as i fished.  it was very difficult to pan the camera precisely, as the cable was coiled coming off the holder, but i eventually got my jig on the screen.  the first thing i noticed is that my jig spun way more than i thought it would with an inline reel.  time to switch to swivels and leaders!  i could very clearly make out the combined action of my jig and bait as i jigged.  second, i banged the bottom with my jig and i could clearly see the muck fly up.  it confirmed my suspicions about the bottom type and i could see why doing that gets the fish's attention.  third, i watched a small perch come in to inspect my jig, another sort of shocking moment the first time.  it was very cool to watch him eye it up and then turn away, clearly i wasn't matched right.  finally, a bit later when i was again panning around, i caught a pickerel swimming by on the edge of the frame.  i would have liked to have gotten a better look at him!

pros: compact design, very portable, good screen quality, very good visibility, great for finding structure, can definitely fish with it, can see a lot of detail you can't get from sonar.
cons: not cheap, another electronic device to carry around, slow to wind/unwind, can't record or take screen shots, spinning thin cable with cold hands is not easy or precise, doesn't replace the need for a sonar device.

note that aqua-vu sells accessories to solve the recording and panning problems, but they are also expensive.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »

Offline Ranger22

• IF247 Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 04:51:20 AM »
i spent some time with the AV II on lower promised land saturday and here are my first impressions:

executive summary - this is a great little unit that, with the help of a device to help precisely rotate the camera, can be a great addition to your arsenal if you can spare the cash and space for one.

long version - i don't know LPL very well, so i consulted with JT2C and picked some mostly random spots to punch holes.  after i got some tip ups out (and found my sonar to be dead grrr) i pulled the AV II out, having no idea what was below my hole.  as the cam lowered down, i noticed it was sort of a pain to unwind (and later wind) 8 feet of cable off the square-ish holder.  some kind of crank winding device on a moving spool would have been nice.  i could see the screen fine in the early morning/overcast sky and didn't have a problem later in the day either (a little glare though, some kind of container would help).  in the middle of the water column, the screen showed bright yellow in the top third and blue-green on the lower two thirds.  this was a bit confusing to me, i wasn't sure it was working right, even to the point that i pulled it up to make sure the cam was lowering down correctly.  back down it went and the screen stayed the same until i got close to the bottom.

at the bottom, i was somewhat shocked to see a small pile of timber appear on the screen plain as day.  i could see a small branch right below the cam extending out a bit and then a bigger collection of limbs a short distance away.  there were no weeds to speak of, and the bottom looked like dull gray/brown muck.  i was surprised to see no fish suspended near this structure.  spinning the camera wire in my fingers, i could see no further interesting structure around me, just scattered rocks in the muck.  it is hard to say how far i could see for, but it seemed like a very reasonable distance.  after scanning a bit more, i pulled the cam out.  in not my brightest moment, i started jigging the hole and promptly hung up on the very timber i saw on the cam.  DUH.

a bit later i moved holes, this time drilling two side-by-side holes to see if i could watch my jig as i fished.  it was very difficult to pan the camera precisely, as the cable was coiled coming off the holder, but i eventually got my jig on the screen.  the first thing i noticed is that my jig spun way more than i thought it would with an inline reel.  time to switch to swivels and leaders!  i could very clearly make out the combined action of my jig and bait as i jigged.  second, i banged the bottom with my jig and i could clearly see the muck fly up.  it confirmed my suspicions about the bottom type and i could see why doing that gets the fish's attention.  third, i watched a small perch come in to inspect my jig, another sort of shocking moment the first time.  it was very cool to watch him eye it up and then turn away, clearly i wasn't matched right.  finally, a bit later when i was again panning around, i caught a pickerel swimming by on the edge of the frame.  i would have liked to have gotten a better look at him!

pros: compact design, very portable, good screen quality, very good visibility, great for finding structure, can definitely fish with it, can see a lot of detail you can't get from sonar.
cons: not cheap, another electronic device to carry around, slow to wind/unwind, can't record or take screen shots, spinning thin cable with cold hands is not easy or precise, doesn't replace the need for a sonar device.

note that aqua-vu sells accessories to solve the recording and panning problems, but they are also expensive.
I have the gear you need Garrett I just have to find it! lol  :?  I will make sure I have iy for the weekend!

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »
Ranger, you must be talking about your home made camera compass, I picked one up awhile ago, it helps keep the camera cord steady so you can position it onto your jig.  Mine is nothing more than circular piece of plastic with hooks to hold the cord, it works, think I spent $15 for it, Marcum makes it.

Offline Ranger22

• IF247 Staff
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 04:41:14 PM »
Ranger, you must be talking about your home made camera compass, I picked one up awhile ago, it helps keep the camera cord steady so you can position it onto your jig.  Mine is nothing more than circular piece of plastic with hooks to hold the cord, it works, think I spent $15 for it, Marcum makes it.
Yup I made a couple of them, I just have to find them! lol

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 06:27:05 PM »
what i would also really like is a way to know which direction the camera is pointing.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 06:27:05 PM »

Offline Ranger22

• IF247 Staff
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
what i would also really like is a way to know which direction the camera is pointing.
The compass I made can be used to tell you which way it is pointing by locking the cable down and holding the camera in one spot.

Offline HenryDavid

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »
Here's mine gee-dub

photo upload to Imgur

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »
ah, brilliant, now i see what you were talking about.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question