Ice Fishing Info NH Ice Fishing NJ Ice Fishing NY Ice Fishing
PA Ice Fishing
VT Ice Fishing MA Ice Fishing

Author Topic: Ice flasher concussion??  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Spider1

• The grumpy ol' dust farter
Re: Ice flasher concussion??
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »
Could you tell the difference in rock, sand, mud or wood?

kind of. Depends on the model, type and how good you are with it. After a while you get to know what it's telling you. On my ice45 it'll let you know if it's weedy, if there's a tree under you, if it's muddy or if it's just flat and hard. with the dual beam I can use a wide beam in shallow water or a narrow beam in deep water but it's also handy if I'm fishing with a lot of branches and junk under me in shallow water. I can turn on the narrow beam and see better, I don't see as much, but what I do see is usually more clear.
When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »

Online fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • WTF
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »
Still lost! Not looking to spend $400 to $500. Watched infisheman today and the were using the showdown and the marcum flasher, also was watching tgo fishing and they had flashers to? Does the flashers tell you what kind of bottom you are fishing? Could you tell the difference in rock, sand, mud or wood?

They do not tell you anything, you have to learn to interpret what the flasher is showing. FYI, a Showdown is a flasher with a vertical read out. The other "flashers" have a circular read out. With experience you can tell to the degree of you interest and experience what sort of bottom you are over but it is not like sending down a camera. As far as wood goes I never fished over wood. There have been times where I have detected branches and boulders but how many places have a wood bottom anyway. Get a good brand in the entry level price range for $300 take it out and use it for the season if you want to sell it next fall and upgrade or try something else. I think I said they all work good.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Online crappiman

• God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
Still lost! Not looking to spend $400 to $500. Watched infisheman today and the were using the showdown and the marcum flasher, also was watching tgo fishing and they had flashers to? Does the flashers tell you what kind of bottom you are fishing? Could you tell the difference in rock, sand, mud or wood?
I would start with a Marcum VX 1 pro, Under $300 new.
You can find some great deals on Black Friday or eBay.
I got my LX 6 for $500 + a $100 gift card from Gander Mountain last year, Black Friday.
The only thing that sucked was my wife would not let open it until Xmas. She surprised me with an Artic Armor suit, which made my Xmas.
Good luck,
Crappiman
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:03:26 PM by crappiman »
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline zziipp

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »
buy an entry level of any one of the brands and you will have fun. after you use them you can start to figure out what the bottom is comprised of and what the unit is showing you.i never owned one until i joined this site i mostly tipup fished and rarely jigged. after seeing pics and hearing guys say they would drive home to get thier flasher if they forgot it and wouldnt fish without it i had to give one a try. one day i sat and watched one of my buddies use one when he went out to the pack one day. he said here try it out. he explained to me how to use it and bam i was dropping gills on the ice.he had an fl18 and his brother had the fl8. both of them were dropping gills on the ice without a problem.i was hooked i bought a vex 12. no fancy bells or whistles just had the flat screen. last yr i dropped more perch on the ice than i ever have b-4.i made my money back just in perch fillets. and thats not even counting the crappies and gills that hit the dinner plate. not hard to learn how to use and you will wonder why you ever fished without one. the lx1 or a vex fl8 or hb will do the job no problem at all.there r many members on this site who would be glad to show you how to use one. if you show up at a lake im on i would be glad to show you what ive learned over the last couple of yrs using one. this mid winter im going to upgrade. i dont have to but i want to have a spare anyways. and if one of my buddies want to use one i will have an extra. and i like to fish new areas and at least when your on a lake youve never fished b-4 it gives you a tool to scout. and if you get a map of that lake with structure and depth detail and add the flasher your way ahead of the curve for that lake and can find fish fast. just buy one and youll be glad you did. just go thru the post on here and you will see why members use a sonar. as far as brand goes its ford vs chevy. good luck.
WHO SAID WE CAN'T WALK ON WATER.MUST BE A LAND LOVER.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »

Offline gee-dub

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »
i went with an entry level lowrance, the x67c ice machine when i was getting in to ice fishing, which has both a flasher mode and a fish finder mode.  i started in the finder mode and never looked back.  IMO, given where the technology is, going with a pure flasher would be a limiting first step as you try to figure out what works for you.

Offline Spider1

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
I started with a fish finder. I tried several different ones and my favorite was an old eagle portable. The newest was a garmin 140. Then I got the 'bird. Both worked fine but the flasher is much easier to use. A lot less fine tuning every time I turn it on. I might have to do a little going from a deep lake to a shallow but it's just a turn of the knob until my jig is just a fine line... done.

Offline ice attic

• Ice Man
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »
Never heard of the bird? What do you guys think of a showdown 5.6 for $200 used?

Online crappiman

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »
Never heard of the bird? What do you guys think of a showdown 5.6 for $200 used?
Bird is short for Humminbird
$200 not bad as long it's in good working condition!
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »

Offline Spider1

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
lol! yeah, sorry about that.

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »
Good info thanks
Graphs or flashers are all what suits you , I prefer LCD,s which also has a hipno wheel , my flasher is now my back up , and all of them read is hard or soft bottom ,debris, weds ,  and fish ,  but you do need to learn how to interpret  the info that is translated to you , they all work then it boils down to what your needs are , over 40 years ago we started with flashers then to paper graphs to the LCDs of today
JMT, with all the latest and greatest toys understanding your prey and being able to interpret your finders info will put more fish in the boat or on the ice , and more expensive doesn't mean catching more
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:33:18 PM by Filetandrelease »

Offline ElectronICE

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
Yes, this is good information. A lot of very practical tips. You guys have a lot of experience with ice fishing electronics.

A lot of people swear by their flashers, others swear by their LCDs. I guess it depends a lot on the person. But I find a common thread among most comments and opinions is this: once somebody has tried electronics, be it flashers LCDs or underwater cameras, almost nobody wants to go back and fish blind again.

We are here to help you with any of your electronic needs:  http://www.icefishingfishfinders.com/
Proud Sponsor of Ice Fishing 247

Online Filetandrelease

• Ice Man
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2015, 10:39:27 AM »
Omg you hit the nail on the head , there are only two reasons to not use one  , Stubborn or just not in the budget ,
Here is a quick story I bought a used fl8 , that had fallen off a guys truck , big hole and I patched it up still worked went out after eyes , I smoked my buddy Plug due to the fish coming in suspended, he got frustrated and left next morning we met out on the ice and he went out and bought a new 8 and said that's not going to happen again , I told him get going your in the hole after yesterday lol
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:49:01 AM by Filetandrelease »

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2015, 10:39:27 AM »

Offline RutNut

• The NEW and IMPROVED RutNut! ;-)
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
Yeah, I fished BLIND for years......................................then Chez and SPider showed me the light!  ;)

Offline redblur00

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »
Love my marcum vx1 pro but kids always swipe it. Used. My if247 tournament gift card last year from fish307 and built this unit for the kids. Its the lowerance elite4x and propack bout 5o bucks outta pocket. Only thing. Is i may keep the lowerance give them the marcum lol.

Online crappiman

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
Love my marcum vx1 pro but kids always swipe it. Used. My if247 tournament gift card last year from fish307 and built this unit for the kids. Its the lowerance elite4x and propack bout 5o bucks outta pocket. Only thing. Is i may keep the lowerance give them the marcum lol.
I have a lowrance Elite 4 HDI! Still in the box! I was going to buy pro pack for $150 and use it for a spare to my marcum.
Let me know how well it works.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question