Author Topic: Way Back When  (Read 9011 times)

Offline dom570

Re: Way Back When
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »
the best ice fishing memory I have was at the state park with my father and my younger brother my brother grabbed a tip and it was on he hooked a musky till the fish popped its head out of the whole my brother fell and lost the fish was funny after the fact but kinda sucked for him

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »

Offline chris338378

• Ice Man
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »
I remember when I was a kid in the 70s there were no cell phones or computers, we made our own fun building forts, tromping through the woods, fishing open water (I didn't get into ice fishing until 96 after I watched Grumpy Old Men), and hunting.  I looked forward to the hunting season to spend days on end with my Dad.  Back then just about everyone wore the red and black plaid Woolrich hunting clothes and for my birthday one year Mom and Dad bought me my own set.  I was a very proud and happy kid to say the least.  It was the coolest thing to me to be just like my Dad and now we had matching hunting clothes.  Over the years we've had A LOT of fun and made memories I'll never forget and still do.  I never thought about my Mom and Dad getting older until a few years ago when my Dad had a heart attack and couldn't hunt.  That season wasn't the same in the least, it was lonely in the woods since Dad wasn't there.  I'm VERY THANKFUL that I still have my Dad to hunt with and hope and pray that we have MANY MANY more seasons together.  I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again, it was a lot of fun so much simpler then. 

Offline 9squirrel

• Ice Man
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
Way back when was 53 years ago choppin holes. walking home with half frozen feet and tears in my eyes when my feet started to warm up. I went out and did it again & again. I never was that  bright, but I'm lovin the last 5 yrs or so with sonar and portable shelters. It takes longer to recoop now but I love it.
love them gills

Offline ole sam

• Charter Member
  • Ice Man
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
Way back when for me was the late 60's on Wallenpaupack fishing with my father.  We used the Swedish spoon auger and just set in tip ups.  We had a cottage on the Lake so he'd leave the tip ups in overnight and check them at first light.  More than once there'd be a nice 20-some inch brown on the line come morning.

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »

Offline crappiman

• God walked on water to create Ice Fishing....
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »
I remember 1980 my first trip was to Harvey's lake in a station wagon, we did have a bubble shelter. it was just a clear plastic and metal tube that folded over you, I don't know how my uncles back survived. it was only about 3 feet high.
My uncle would drill four holes and we would squeeze in that shelter facing each other with our hand line poles. Boy did we catch the smelt. I was hooked. 34 years forward and my uncle and I still fish together, and  I still get him to drill the holes...LOl. >:D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:55:09 PM by crappiman »
Men and Fish are alike.... They both get in trouble when they open there mouths......

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »
WAY BACK WHEN was about 39 years ago.I was 11.My dad took me on my first icefishin trip ever.TO THE PAC.He had a chopping bar for the holes.The blade was made out of a 5" secton of car leaf spring.Sharpened with a grinder makeing 3 big teeth on it.That was welded to a 6' heavy bar with a rawhide strap at the end to wrap around your hand so it didnt go down the hole.It made a nice hole in a minute or 2 .some were square some semi round they never came out the same.That was when there was no hole size limit.Big black snowmobile suit ,felt pack boots 3 pairs of socks,a knitt face mask my mom madfe me and 2 pair of gloves ,cause i always got a pair wet.No jigging ,just tipups.We caught BROWN TROUT,WALLEYES,and some of the biggest PERCH you ever seen.Guys my age that fished the Pac could remember the great days back on the pack in the 70s.We always had a charcole burning grill of some sort for HOTDOGS,DEER BURGERS,SAUSAGE,and KILBASA.BIG THERMOS of HOT CHOCOLATE on the real cold days,IF I WAS LUCKY MY DADS friend BEAR would give me a big SWIG of BLACKBERRY BRANDY.[MY DAD NEVER DRANK]I dont know where i get it from LOL.We would have a blast from daybreak till sundown.Always had action too.Nice fish always.We fished PL,or the PAC for 10 years or better.They were some of the best days of my life.I wish i could go back and do it again.I try to make it great for my boys now.They love it but,I think we got too modern with everything new on the market.It use to be so simple tipups, a bar and ,bait.Dont get me wrong i would never give up my VEX or HUT now.IM just saying it was a much more simpler time when i was a KID.
WHEN THE BEERS GONE WE'RE GONE

Offline gwilk1

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
I remember using a yard stick  cut a foot long with a v cut in ends as jigging poles

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »
I though this was a great topic and enjoyed it very much !<>! !<>!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »

Offline corkdown

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
"I remember using a yard stick  cut a foot long with a v cut in ends as jigging poles"

I still use them. Sometimes still with a cork. and when the cork goes down well that's where I get my handle for this site.

Offline fulldrawbob

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 06:01:40 AM »
My Dad use to take me to gouldsboro state park,He strictly jigged,no tip ups.I was about 12.We use to fill a bucket or sometimes more of big perch.I mean jumbos.No vexs.That was the good ol days.

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:56 AM »
I remember those days bobby.in the spring we would kill them also by the old icehouse across from the beach.when they drained that lake the perch went with it.i still get decent calico ,not many but they are nice.

Offline part timer

• Ice Man
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 03:08:41 PM »
couldn't resist sharing a memory or 2 from the "way back" for my first post after becoming a member .
 I certainly can relate to all the posts about spud bars and herman survivors . I wore my first pair for years , hunting , ice fishing , sleigh riding , cutting firewood , etc etc . never found boots since that could compare .
I could share many memories , but would like to share one from about 15 to 20 years ago , my first time on the ice on the Delaware river at narrowsburg , n.y.
my first time was with my father in law and his 2 brothers , veteran hunters and fishermen from the "great generation". all 3 ww II veterans . they invited me along to fish for the Delaware walleyes , which they had lots of experience with . "uncle" bill had landed an 11 pounder that year . it was early ice , x-mas week , the best time if theres safe ice . I was hesitant about river ice and as we rounded the last turn and I saw open water about 100 yards from a few guys already there , I said "you're crazy ' i'm not going out there " ! after some reassurance I reluctantly joined them . there was about 10 inches of good solid ice and after a while I relaxed a bit . after instruction on how they hit and how to hook em I finally caught my first one , about 22 inches , I was hooked forever !!.
 i'll never forget them ( 2 have passed on ) and that first day on the Delaware ice , meeting "tom" a regular , from the ny side with his poodle " pierre ", ( also both passed on ) and many other " characters " who were regulars there , the morning , and afternoon "runs " , the debate over minnows vs "lampers ', sharing the flasks of blackberry brandy , lol ! etc etc etc . and  many subsequent trips , and memories  after that one .
its been quite a while since I've fished it , hope to get back sometime .

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 03:08:41 PM »

Offline chez

• PBR Man
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
I wanna thank FM for starting this topic,I enjoyed every post put up.Makes you remember how good things use to be. :)

Offline Van_Cleaver

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
The first time I saw anyone ice fishing was on Lake Winola about 1960. Plaid wool jackets were the outerwear of choice. There was something about it that fascinated me, and does til this day. When I started ice fishing with my brother we had a blue Mora spoon auger. That thing would wear you out! Marsh Creek was a great fishery, as was Ontelaunee. Both had good ice pretty much every year. We often got our bait from a little back yard bait shop owned by mister Branning; it was in Pughtown right on Rt 100; long since gone. When you bought a fishing license he always replied for you to the age portion; "Old enough to know better, too young to resist. " Miss him and the great fishing we took for granted. Also to fm's point, when the fish are biting, or the music is hot; I still feel like a kid, at least until I have to pack out. ;)

Offline fishin_musician

• Administrator
  • May the Ice Be With You
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
Ahh Lake Winola! She might be ready for a look this weekend if the snow misses us that is. I might have to make a point of it.
FM
Have an Ice Day!

Ice Fishing 247

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »

Support IceFishin247

IF247 Charter Member Our Charter Member Program is a great way to support this site. You get your choice of IF247 Hoodie or Hat and some awesome account enhancments. Check it out!
Charter Member Now

Black/Orange Beanies
Black/Orange Ball Caps
IF247 Store

Photos Posting Tutorial

Get Forum Help

How do I do that?
IF247 SURVIVAL GUIDE
Answers to your FAQ's :?

More FAQ's

Ask a Question